Wire rope winch on steep slopes

I live on a farm at Cilshafe Uchaf which is on the side of the Gwaun Valley overlooking Fishguard on the way to Dinas. Very welcome to visit and study the conundrum!
I spent a little over a year living in Trecinni just over the road from you :-)
Rather busy with personal stuff at the moment, but if I get a bit of time free I may well pop over for a looksee.

41 minutes ago, jamallio96 said:

I spent a little over a year living in Trecinni just over the road from you ?
Rather busy with personal stuff at the moment, but if I get a bit of time free I may well pop over for a looksee.

I'm around most of the time. Welcome to call by for a wander down to the wood and spot of lunch/supper and a glass of wine. We're in Yr Hen Stabl which is the last building in the farm on the right past the barn, with the big stacks of wood outside our door.

I'm around most of the time. Welcome to call by for a wander down to the wood and spot of lunch/supper and a glass of wine. We're in Yr Hen Stabl which is the last building in the farm on the right past the barn, with the big stacks of wood outside our door.
Cheers, will pm you if and when I have a chance for a social visit :-)

1 hour ago, jamallio96 said:
1 hour ago, Peter Simpson said:

Cheers, will pm you if and when I have a chance for a social visit ?

Grand. I look forward to that.

Under the circumstances described I'd be inclined to rig a pair of single or double sheave becketted blocks for a two or four part pull and use a long rope pulled manually. Pulling up a near vertical slope there shouldn't be too much to snag, and since the cut parts are to be wheelbarrowed away they can't be too heavy.

Looking on eBay you can buy a brand new double-sheave block (ship's style) for around £20, and I would have thought, bearing in mind the proximity to the coast and fishing boats, second hand blocks wouldn't be hard to find. It's not a commercial operation and no-one is underneath the pull, so LOLER etc isn't an issue.

I have to say that I greatly admire the OP's determination and effort, and I only hope that when I retire I am as fit as he clearly is! 

Repeatedly pulling logs up a 30m slope with a Tirfor -  the thought alone makes me hurt! I'd consider it for a single log if it was worth it, but repeatedly, no way!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Treewolf said:

Under the circumstances described I'd be inclined to rig a pair of single or double sheave becketted blocks for a two or four part pull and use a long rope pulled manually. Pulling up a near vertical slope there shouldn't be too much to snag, and since the cut parts are to be wheelbarrowed away they can't be too heavy.

Looking on eBay you can buy a brand new double-sheave block (ship's style) for around £20, and I would have thought, bearing in mind the proximity to the coast and fishing boats, second hand blocks wouldn't be hard to find. It's not a commercial operation and no-one is underneath the pull, so LOLER etc isn't an issue.

I have to say that I greatly admire the OP's determination and effort, and I only hope that when I retire I am as fit as he clearly is! 

Repeatedly pulling logs up a 30m slope with a Tirfor -  the thought alone makes me hurt! I'd consider it for a single log if it was worth it, but repeatedly, no way!

Being completely ignorant about rope and pulley systems I will need a little guidance about what pulleys to get-there seem to be so many types-nylon wheels, stainless steel, wooden bLocks etc. with different load bearing, and what kind of rope and what thickness that fits the pulley and is good for pulling. Presumably for a 20 meter lift on a double sheave I would need at least 40 metres?

Aye ur almost correct above, althou in i'd describe that as a single sheave and in practice probably need longer than 40m, but u have the right idea. For a double sheave u'll be 4:1 so need 80m+

Every time u put an extra 'thing' in (not sure the correct term) u half the load but double the distance u have to travel.

Because ur pullng it all by hand and fairly small bits of timber u might even get away with something quite cheap and cheerful like 8mm polyprop (u bog standard blue rope)

However u decide to pull the rope, (stand at bottom hand over hand Or at top vai a redirect so just walk in a straight line) it would be really handy to have a 2nd person there purely for either attaching/unattaching the rope.

Or else u'll be up and down that hill like a yo yo. be more tiring than pulling the logs up.

There was a video floating around a while back,  of some ?? guy setting up a system for pulling using a pole at right angles to the direction of pull, and some how by moving it over and back again it wound its self on to the pole or maybe even on to a second pole.

no idea if it was any good or suitable for this circumstance. But might be worth a google search. (Poles were about 6foot long I think)

edit- this is it- different video but same idea

https://survivalsherpa.wordpress.com/2016/06/27/off-grid-winch-incredible-power-from-two-logs-and-a-rope/

Edited by Robbyrasta

4 minutes ago, Robbyrasta said:

There was a video floating around a while back,  of some ?? guy setting up a system for pulling using a pole at right angles to the direction of pull, and some how by moving it over and back again it wound its self on to the pole or maybe even on to a second pole.

no idea if it was any good or suitable for this circumstance. But might be worth a google search. (Poles were about 6foot long I think)

edit- this is it- different video but same idea

https://survivalsherpa.wordpress.com/2016/06/27/off-grid-winch-incredible-power-from-two-logs-and-a-rope/

Yes I've seen that one. Impressive but laborious!