Wire rope winch on steep slopes

6 minutes ago, Peter Simpson said:

I am doing everything by hand with minimal intervention of machines, partly by choice for the tranquility, partly financial, and partly intellectual challenge. .

Fairy nuff

6 minutes ago, Peter Simpson said:

How can I, 66 years old but in reasonable  shape solve this problem, working by myself without petrol machines and much expenditure. In short I have plenty of time, some energy, little money! And woodstoves to fuel for the next few years.

Well we are in the same sort of boat but there's no way I would do it without some mechanical assistance, At best I can work at about 100Watt power with my legs, very little upper body strength left. So a 5hp petrol engine will pull 50 times faster.

An off grid music show we did was run off two people on bicycles mounted on rollers driving little 24V motors from kids electric scooters  and that worked okay if a bit wearing. So on a similar note my mate Danny has built a bike with the front end replaced by a push along cylinder mower and that too works better than pushing. It may work out easier to have a pedal powered winch than wanking away on a tirfor.

As no moving parts - Mick , umm no . K

( Think that its a lot of effort this guy is putting in fr free firewood - go see yr friendly local arborist , he may have an old saw you can borrow and some gash logwood to play with )

The bank is almost vertical! Have to slide down on my bottom with rope to get down and cut logs with bowsaw on occasional ledges. Wide river and other side on somebody else's land. No access at bottom of slope. 
Perfect.
Tie log to rope , this goes up to pully tied to a tree at head height. The rope has a loop on the other side of the pully. Loop goes around your waist and you run down hill, the log goes up.
As you are counter balanced, you can jump drops with ease. The only thing to be wary of is wasp nests.
The logs needs to be about 1/2 your weight to work well.
Used this method for a couple of years for firewood in a rented house next to a very steep wooded slope.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, slack ma girdle said:

Perfect.
Tie log to rope , this goes up to pully tied to a tree at head height. The rope has a loop on the other side of the pully. Loop goes around your waist and you run down hill, the log goes up.
As you are counter balanced, you can jump drops with ease. The only thing to be wary of is wasp nests.
Used this method for a couple of years for firewood in a rented house next to a very steep wooded slope.

Brilliant.

29 minutes ago, slack ma girdle said:

Perfect.

Interesting! The kamikaze approach! 

33 minutes ago, Khriss said:

As no moving parts - Mick , umm no . K

( Think that its a lot of effort this guy is putting in fr free firewood - go see yr friendly local arborist , he may have an old saw you can borrow and some gash logwood to play with )

The pleasure of the woods and then the heat from the fire is it's own reward.