advancing an srt TIP.

looking at ways to advance the tie in point when using srt, such as when you can only get a low throwline shot, or decide to climb from the bottom up. 

iam using a bulldog bone, could i just choker the spliced end round the next limb up with a karribiner?

obviously i could use the bulldog in double mode but it seems a bit pants at that, or i could use my lock jack then swap but means two devices in the tree.

any ideas?

thanks carl

6 hours ago, tree-fancier123 said:

this vid shows a method using multisling anchor - just unclip carabiner to advance

https://youtu.be/JkR-IU1jva0?t=5m54s

advancing TIP discussed here too http://www.treebuzz.com/forum/threads/advancing-the-tip.27453/

that multi sling looks like a useful thing. i think the simplest way is to base anchor srt up then undo base tie and use the bulldog in drt mode and alternate up with the lanyard, iam not trying to advance that far just the last bit to get the best final tip.

i used to use the lockjack with a rope wrench and that took seconds to switch between srt and drt.

will have a look at the treebuzz thread.

thanks carl

7 hours ago, Mark Wileman said:

Are you climbing off a base anchor? If not then you can just use the other end of your rope, but would be quicker to just lanyard in and then readvance your tie in point.

id start off with a base anchor, then get that untied once i was up, not so keen on working with a base anchor.

thanks

1. ill always aim to bag a high anchor point but somtimes the tree  has other ideas, and after you have used both ends of your own throwline and are now borrowing another one you tend to take any anchor!!!

Usually I’ll just tie off a bow line with a couple of foot in the tail for retrieval and grab the tail when climbing past or around it...just climb like ddrt strop around the trunk and throw with a monkeys fist to next branch ,isolate with a bowline and repeat until the TIP is reached.
Obviously if you intend on climbing well above the temporary anchors you have to remember the bowline tail or you will have to go back for it.. but then if your following industry guidelines you should not be climbing above your tip any way.

• Like 1

This is my biggest issue with SRT. I will usually have the base tie undone and then Ddrt to my final TIP. Fine sometimes, but often I want to keep the base tie so I dont have to return to my TIP, for instance traversing into another tree. Its a pain to move up the tree redirecting the line over another limb each time. A sling and crab is an ok compromise. 

This is made worse by the trees I am usually working, tall skinny conifers, where a really high tie in, base tied cant be trusted. 

Open to suggestions?

3 hours ago, paddyvero said:

This is my biggest issue with SRT. I will usually have the base tie undone and then Ddrt to my final TIP. Fine sometimes, but often I want to keep the base tie so I dont have to return to my TIP, for instance traversing into another tree. Its a pain to move up the tree redirecting the line over another limb each time. A sling and crab is an ok compromise. 

This is made worse by the trees I am usually working, tall skinny conifers, where a really high tie in, base tied cant be trusted. 

Open to suggestions?

can you not just advance the bae tie using a webbing sling as you go, once at the top just tie a canopy anchor and get the ground staff to tie the base anchor? when you traverse just take the tail with you and retrieve the canopy anchor as normal if you are re anchoring. or just use the tail of your rope as a temporary anchor in the new tree. or take another rope. so many options