Which Chainsaw As Next Purchase

Jamie Jones

I'm sure i done my 32 with a tiny saw, think it was a stihl 021? or something only saw i had at the time (doing more railway work in those days so done the job fine).

As long as ur saw can run a 15" it won't really matter (that saw of mine really struggled with the 15") its not like ur cutting for production, ur there to learn the techniques so if ur saw is a litle slower not the end of the world

I also must admit not sure wot size ur saws are (never really understood stihls labelling/model numbers, despite having quite a few) if ur saws 50-60cc it should handle up to an 18" bar, which will do most things (at a push).

Dunno if anywhere round about u hires bigger saws out?? Got a couple of places near me that hirs them and not that dear if u only need it -2 times a year ur probably as well hiring 1 as and when.

Just more to store/get nicked or then not start when u actually need it as been sat so long.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Been alot of chat about the new Stihl 500i on French Arb FB pages.

500 have been released to select dealers but very little info otherwise.

Prices? Specs? Full release dates?

My 2009 441 is becoming tired so I might hold off replacing it if there is a real chance of the 500i being available soon.

Stuart

Been alot of chat about the new Stihl 500i on French Arb FB pages.
500 have been released to select dealers but very little info otherwise.
Prices? Specs? Full release dates?
My 2009 441 is becoming tired so I might hold off replacing it if there is a real chance of the 500i being available soon.
  Stuart

The 500i revs drop to around 10k in the wood, don't know why.
Also it's really torquey,
Nearly pulls the stand over.

Lighter than a 461 though.
[emoji106]

To absolutly nit-pick, the chain must have been fractionally duller after the first 2 cuts.

Should have run S-H-H-S, followed by H-S-S-H to cancel the chain sharpness factor out, and also give each saw 2 back-to-back cuts.

Also, is that not rather attractive spalted Beech?

9 minutes ago, difflock said:

To absolutly nit-pick, the chain must have been fractionally duller after the first 2 cuts.

Should have run S-H-H-S, followed by H-S-S-H to cancel the chain sharpness factor out, and also give each saw 2 back-to-back cuts.

Also, is that not rather attractive spalted Beech?

... I think you should get out more, knitting can be a social event, ever considered joining the National Trust ;) k

• Like 1
  • Haha 2