Which Chainsaw As Next Purchase

Jamie Jones

On 14/07/2018 at 08:03, Cheesy pete said:

I am also  interested in Why  CS32? are the gardens you do huge? i'm not saying don't do the course but from my experience your climbing tickets CS38 CS39  would serve you better  than the odd few trees you are able to straight fell  of that size .

I am in a rural area and there is a fair amount of forestry work that I could possibly do in the winter months when the domestic and other contracts go quiet.... At the age of 52 I do wonder if that is a more younger person game... Even though I am trying to grow old disgracefully...?   I have thought about the climbing tickets as well...

We also get some big uprooted tree... so it is all about getting the right chainsaw

Edited by Jamie Jones

I am in a rural area and there is a fair amount of forestry work that I could possibly do in the winter months when the domestic and other contracts go quiet.... At the age of 52 I do wonder if that is a more younger person game... Even though I am trying to grow old disgracefully...?   I have thought about the climbing tickets as well...

We also get some big uprooted tree... so it is all about getting the right chainsaw

Big uprooted trees are particularly dangerous, a wind blown course would be an idea.

On 14/07/2018 at 15:38, Rough Hewn said:

If you've already got a 50cc saw, I don't see the point in a 60cc saw. Not much difference, only 2-4" extra bar length.
For large trees you need a 36" bar with at least 90cc.
Anything less is a waste of time, unless it's 20-30" tree then it's 461/462 30" bar.

Why would you need a saw with 461/462 30" bar to take down 20-30" trees ? take that sized tree down regularly and only  use a 241 14" bar and 261 with 16" bar ,2 461s one with 20" bar and one with 25" bar sit in truck day in day out and only come out now and then, reason why it takes so much more effort to lug a big saw round all day on a steep bank and a 461/462 would be no good on a 30" bar the 2 461s we have are quite a way apart and only 5" different on bar size and i dont pick up the one with 25" on it very often.

2 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

Why would you need a saw with 461/462 30" bar to take down 20-30" trees ? take that sized tree down regularly and only  use a 241 14" bar and 261 with 16" bar ,2 461s one with 20" bar and one with 25" bar sit in truck day in day out and only come out now and then, reason why it takes so much more effort to lug a big saw round all day on a steep bank and a 461/462 would be no good on a 30" bar the 2 461s we have are quite a way apart and only 5" different on bar size and i dont pick up the one with 25" on it very often.

good point, but if he's doing gardens he will often have to ring it up too

???
Ok ten 30" trees, drop and ring.
You with a 261, 16" bar
Me with 661 36" bar.
Who's going home first?
[emoji848]
I entirely agree about small saws being able to fell large trees, but it takes sooooo long to ring up cutting from both side.
I also agree with age, I tend to go for a lighter saw, but big wood needs a big saw with a big bar.
Unless it's a hobby.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

4 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

???
Ok ten 30" trees, drop and ring.
You with a 261, 16" bar
Me with 661 36" bar.
Who's going home first?
emoji848.png
I entirely agree about small saws being able to fell large trees, but it takes sooooo long to ring up cutting from both side.
I also agree with age, I tend to go for a lighter saw, but big wood needs a big saw with a big bar.
Unless it's a hobby.
emoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png

OK but no one has mentioned ringing trees up only you, and if i was to ring them up which i dont i would go and get a bigger saw out, i just drop and process 2,5, 3,1, 3,7, & 4,9 and as stihlmad said for an occasional user buying a big saw that may sit idol for months is not a good investment, when the 661 came in i bought a 660 of a local dealer about 3 years ago and i bet it has not had 25ltrs of fuel through it just gets used now and then,

OK but no one has mentioned ringing trees up only you, and if i was to ring them up which i dont i would go and get a bigger saw out, i just drop and process 2,5, 3,1, 3,7, & 4,9 and as stihlmad said for an occasional user buying a big saw that may sit idol for months is not a good investment, when the 661 came in i bought a 660 of a local dealer about 3 years ago and i bet it has not had 25ltrs of fuel through it just gets used now and then,

Fair points.
[emoji106]