Thorn in knuckle

Billy K

28 minutes ago, Billy K said:

What is it then Felix? I’ve never heard of that sulphate stuff? I’m being thick aren’t I haha

It's a paste used to draw boils and similar out of the skin, mate. I've found it helps to use a sterile needle to re-open the entry wound a little(go around it with some hand gel or similar first) then put a blob on before covering it with a plaster. You'll feel it throb a bit but that is fine. If it doesn't draw it out completely, it should pull it up to where you can dig it out. I use needle nosed tweezers to be most effective.

• Thanks 1

Been there many times. I use homoeopathic Ledum Palustre 30C (local Boots or health food store). Good for any kind of puncture wound and also tick bites. And the aforementioned cream is good. I always carry a wee bottle of iodine as well, and immediately apply to any puncture, water will not penetrate into the hole if it's small, the surface tension of water is just too great, but the alcohol base of the iodine tincture will. I would avoid antibiotics like the plague, if inflammation is stoping you from working then aspirin would will help.

• Like 1

But I thought homeopathic stuff was water???

Nil to do unless it becomes re-infected which will be a trip to GP AND antibiotics.

An infection of the space between the metacarpals can quickly turn nasty. My money would be on that there is still something left inside but the body’s defences will seal it off and it will settle.

Remember “alternative” medicine with evidence of benefit is called “medicine “

• Like 2

A pal of mine had this. Took about 6 months of hand getting inflamed etc. Eventually they did surgery and removed the smallest bit of thorn which had worked it's way into a knuckle.

I'd look at things which will draw it all out rather than antibiotics as it will keep getting infected if there is a tiny bit still in there.

I am extremely sceptical of homeopathic stuff. However I have used silica for getting out things like angle ground tungsten flecks from the eye, blackthorn and splinters up the nail. I was surprised at how quickly the offending foreign body removed itself.

Also soaking in hot extremely salty water is excellent

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Billy K said:

Does the one in your back still play up?

No not at all.  It was sore for a few weeks and it’s the only time I’ve been to the doctors for a thorn removal.  My dad had a bit of a dig about with no luck(missus wouldn’t touch it), as it happens the nurse didn’t want to touch it if it weren’t necessary as it was so close to the spine, so there it stayed.

had it been blackthorn it would have been more of a concern 

It is little wonder there are issues re the failing effectivness of antibiotics if people run to the Dr. for antibiotics for a jag, no matter how painful.

Or is that remark to near the knuckle?

This from a country raised perspective, and a father with a healthy respect for the dangers of blood poisoning.

That is; first have a good hoke, apply dilute hydrogen peroxide, hoke some more, apply a poultice, & thole,

BUT always watch for any spreading redness.

I do not recall any of the 4 of us getting antibiotics as children or adolescents, despite the usual cuts and injuries associated with growing up on a working farm.

P.S.

Why is it reckoned Blackthorn is the worst thorn, how can it harbour any different bacteria to other nearby non blackthorns jags.

Or what is so different about Blackthorn?

Do Blackthorn thorns have a greater  tendency to break off under the skin and leave bits in the wound(my take on it)

Marcus

Edited by difflock
  • Like 1

It is little wonder there are issues re the failing effectivness of antibiotics if people run to the Dr. for antibiotics for a jag, no matter how painful.
Or is that remark to near the knuckle?
This from a country raised perspective, and a father with a healthy respect for the dangers of blood poisoning.
That is; first have a good hoke, apply dilute hydrogen peroxide, hoke some more, apply a poultice, thole, BUT always watch for any spreading redness.
 I do not recall any of the 4 of us getting antibiotics as children or adolescents, despite the usual cuts and injuries associated with growing up on a working farm.
P.S.
Why is it reckoned Blackthorn is the worst thorn, how can it harbour any different bacteria to other nearby non blackthorns jags.
Or what is so different about Blackthorn?
Do Blackthorn thorns have a greater  tendency to break off under the skin and leave bits in the wound(my take on it)
Marcus

Don't know why black thorn but defs seems to cause more infections