Which part of your stove have you replaced most often?

Vermiculite board is cheap on eBay, cuts readily with a hand saw, is light and from what I read it's considerably more insulating than refractory brick.  When I refurbished an old stove with badly damaged bricks I made replacements with vermiculite board and they seem to work very very well.  My newer stove uses vermiculite as standard

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Al Cormack said:

Our fire bricks on the side are loose. Can they be cemented back in somehow? It's one single 'brick' / slab not individual.

Al are you sure it needs cementing back? Most stoves I see use the vermiculite board and they sit lose in place. They usually go in in a specific order so they hold each other in place and maybe there is a baffle that they wedge behind at one edge.

I dont know your stove so maybe they are supposed to be bonded back but worth a check.

• Like 1

Refurbished my 11kw stove this year. New firebricks, glass, rope and sprayed entire stove.,looks as good as new

Someone mentioned making their own firebricks using concrete. I would advise against that. Mate tried and some of the stones in it expolded and shattered tje glass. Its forty quid for a sheet of vermiculite that you can cut to size, so its not worth the aggro

• Like 1

Good effort dddan, I did similar a couple of years ago.  Got a very very tired Franco belge Belfort on eBay for under £75.  Bought new baffle, made a new stainless steel heat shield (sits inside the immediately under the top plate), bought new grate, replaced door rope, resealed top plate to body, made new door catch pin to replace worn one, made ash plan handle to replace missing one, wire brushed then cleaned with cellulosethinner the whole thing before spraying with stove bright paint, and made new vermiculite bricks to replace the knackered refectory bricks.  With petrol to collect it I spent under £200 and it's good as new, lovely little stove and a satisfying project.

Edited by neiln
  • Like 1