How long did your last stove last before it needed replaced?

46 minutes ago, BowlandStoves said:

Hi @Stubby

How long do you expect your stove to last?

Not sure . I have replaced the glass once ( due to me damaging it by spraying glass cleaner on it when still hot )  Replaced the vermiculite board once and made a new , thicker top baffle plate . Other than those things I can see it going on indefinitely .

Our aarow, I think it's 18kW, has done 20 years with only a few glass clips and bits of rope replaced. We tend to run it all the time in the winter so it's done a lot of hours but I see no reason to replace it anytime soon. 

Cast iron stoves should pretty much run forever, but two things kill them, excessive heat, and moisture. Burning coal in a stove built for wood will eventually crack the baffles, and introduce heat stress in the plates. And water from condensation or rain getting in the chimney eventually rusts out the top spigot and other parts, but that's more of a problem in old houses which are not lived in enough. The baffles are sacrificial anyway, and should be replaced every few decades.

I sometimes wonder how people break decent stoves, they are well built.  Ok door rope seals wear but are easily replaced.  Baffles have a hard life from the heat and any moisture coming down the flue drips on them, each year when I pull mine out to sweep the flue I notice a few spots of surface rust on the top of the baffle I assume from this moisture. I can see how easy it is to crack a fire brick or the door glass if a large log rolls, or a log is just too big but you try and shut the door on it not realising it's protruding. Door catches wear, even hinge pins, that I understand.  However look on eBay at used stoves and you find morso, Franco belge and plenty of other good stoves with cracked and warped plates and burnt away grates.  I assume this is total misuse and almost certainly coal not wood.  I know if a door seal goes, or vents are left open the stove is going full bore and hot hot hot, but a small wood stove at least will burn through its load like that pretty fast, and likely before it does serious damage.  Surely it needs coal to get serious damaging heat for long?  Or a foolish user loading firebox after firebox after firebox full of small splits with the vents wide open.

Erm, 50 to 100 to 150 years, at an educated guess,

for owt of similar traditional cast iron construction as Astroflamm/Morso/Jotul, for instance,

as said, door seals, baffle plates, firebrick linings and glass will require periodic replacement,

but since we ran a Morso Panther 24/7 for 4 months of each winter over a 10 year period, incl "slumbering" overnight, with only a replacement baffle plate and firebrick needed(due to overstuffing) and additional daylight burning in the autumn and spring months.

This also included a couple of alcohol induced bone-dry Mahogony offcut fuelled fires where the 4' long flue pipe was glowing dull red.

Despite this mistreatment this stove has done 20 years and is no worse for wear.

Hence my opening line re expected life.

And the flue has never been cleaned during these 20+ years btw.

Marcus