Lidl 4-in-1 As Sacrificial Pole Saw

Haironyourchest

Anyone else got one for the really dodgy cuts? For €150 its got to be a cheap insurance policy for a €1000 machine. Plus you now have an emergency pole saw to free the good one if it gets stuck. Bar and chain alone is worth 20 bucks. And a sacrificial hedger if there's scrub to clear with hidden stones. Plus an emergency strimmer for improving access to jobs, getting better visibility of ground conditions around suspect trees, etc. Of course it wont hold up to constant use, but that's not what it's for is it? Fill with Aspen and leave in the truck/van year round and it'll be there to save they day when it's needed. Also when some poor unfortunate comes hat in hand, begging to borrow this or that for half an hour, you can oblige and not feel like a doormat/flint hearted bastard.

Well, I just bought one. Gonna put it together tomorrow and report. Nearly broke by 131 yesterday, and have broken it before. Just the price of the shaft is nearly three times the price of the Lidl 4-in-1

I used a similar cheap jobby for bramble clearing with the oregon mulcher blade to save wrecking a 'best one'. Gos oregon mulcher blades are mean kit wreckin sons of half-hitches. The one I got has a bigger engine so heavy but durable and loads of torque. It does get through shafts though, I started turning and re-drilling them and then keeping an eye on ebers for local parts for pennies but then hit upon the idea of beefing up what I got (the quick release catch is fine: the tube gets torn to pieces). I have since drilled and tapped the cast fitting that holds the tube and also the strimmer head and associated tubes to take two short M6 allen bolts which go right into the tube rather than just tightening up against it. Holds everything tight and the job is a good one.

Happy Days

Yourn

I  bought one of the Green Lidl 4-in-1's a couple of years ago in their sale, £89?

The engine unit is pretty good, starts easily, decent power but heavy. Saw attachment is ok, but it's a heavy rig when assembled and unwieldy, easy to knock the off switch which is irritating if you are using the harness.I rarely use it.

A decent (non powered) pole + saw is imo just as quick, much lighter/more manoeuvrable, longer reach. As a home gamer I got a Wolf Garten telescopic pole and pruning saw. It's not a Silky, but 90% of the way there at 1/4 of the cost.  It's proven tough and reliable, for most jobs I'm finished before I'd have had the Green Machine set up.

23 hours ago, Stere said:

Yep, that's the one I have. For the OP's use they do the job, the brush cutter/strimmer is probably the best of the tools.

The hedge trimmer isn't much use, the cutting action is quite slow, presumably from how it's geared as the engine is running to spec. My cheapy Bosch corded trimmer is far superior and for the long reach I have a Tanaka TCG 24 (straight shaft strimmer + hedging attachment) which shows the difference between the ultra-budget tools and a decent home owner model.

You might find that the budget Hyundai cordless works for you. I guess it'll depend on exactly what you want it to do.

The other option is to get some access equipment, a quality tripod ladder might be a better bet allowing you to use a Silky which in most cases will be quicker and less strenuous.