Milling western red cedar

kinderscout

5 hours ago, Squaredy said:

Myself and the Mrs in front of a pretty big Coastal Redwood in West Wales.  They don't get such massive girth as Giant Redwood, but still very impressive, even babies like this one. 

Before we cut all the tall ones down they were the world's tallest tree...

Helen & Gavin-261.jpg

Pretty sure that is a WRC  !!!

23 minutes ago, devon TWiG said:

8 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Me too

I do agree the foliage does look very WRC doesn't it!  Sorry if I have got that one wrong.  In which case that is a very nice Cedar.  Next time I am nearby I will go and check.

15 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Me too

31 minutes ago, devon TWiG said:

Yeah I have zoomed in on the foliage on the original pic, and it really does look like WRC.  Well done for spotting my deliberate error...... ;) 

WRC foliage.jpg

9 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

I do agree the foliage does look very WRC doesn't it!  Sorry if I have got that one wrong.  In which case that is a very nice Cedar.  Next time I am nearby I will go and check.

no apology required , I hope you do not think I am being pedantic, but if you are buying ,milling and selling timber then it would be in your own best interests to know what species you are dealing with ? 

37 minutes ago, devon TWiG said:

no apology required , I hope you do not think I am being pedantic, but if you are buying ,milling and selling timber then it would be in your own best interests to know what species you are dealing with ? 

Isn't it spooky, the original poster mistook a CRW for a WRC and then I mistook a WRC for a CRW.

5 hours ago, Squaredy said:

Please specify whether it is the tree or my lovely Wife you are reacting to.....  PS: she doesn't smile like this all the time.

Actually just reading up on the tinternet it seems Coastal Redwood are still the world's tallest tree.

If it makes you all feel any better, I cut a lot of western red cedar and here have been the major instances of it not being western red cedar. 

1) Had two loads of 'WRC' from Yorkshire. It was marked by the Commission as WRC but when it turned up in the yard, it was all western hemlock. 50 tonnes of the stuff.

2) A 200 tonne batch of 'WRC' from Argyll. First lot came into the yard and whilst some of it (about a quarter) was obviously Lawson's cypress, the rest looked almost like WRC but wasn't quite right. Checked with supplier and they weren't able to help. Had to drive 3 hours west to check the site and fairly quickly established that it was Japanese Red Cedar, which is actually superior. So, took the lot, lawsons included. Another instance of it being on the Commission map as WRC, felled as WRC, supplied as WRC and it not being WRC.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Big J said:

If it makes you all feel any better, I cut a lot of western red cedar and here have been the major instances of it not being western red cedar. 

1) Had two loads of 'WRC' from Yorkshire. It was marked by the Commission as WRC but when it turned up in the yard, it was all western hemlock. 50 tonnes of the stuff.

2) A 200 tonne batch of 'WRC' from Argyll. First lot came into the yard and whilst some of it (about a quarter) was obviously Lawson's cypress, the rest looked almost like WRC but wasn't quite right. Checked with supplier and they weren't able to help. Had to drive 3 hours west to check the site and fairly quickly established that it was Japanese Red Cedar, which is actually superior. So, took the lot, lawsons included. Another instance of it being on the Commission map as WRC, felled as WRC, supplied as WRC and it not being WRC.

Wow that is a lot of error.  The Hemlock must have been gutting...

Maybe one day you will contract to buy a lorry load of Spruce, and when it turns up it is all Walnut....

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, difflock said:

Surely the FC has to recompense the purchaser for their mistake/misslabelling/misselling?

You'd think so wouldn't you. 

Basically, if it's not spruce, larch or douglas fir, no one really seems to care what it is., It just gets marked as "Mixed conifer" and sold as such.