Steel wedges?

Harry_L

Hi all, i wanted to buy a steel wedge for felling but i dont think you can use them anymore so no where sells them, so does anyone know where i could buy a steel felling wedge? Thanks

Also i bought a steel splitting wedge and i am filing it down so it is a bit narrower and fits into the kerf, would this work?

Any help appreciated thanks

18 minutes ago, Harry_L said:

Thanks, i do have a high lift wedge and its great but i wanted a small steel wedge as ive got some smaller trees to do emoji106.png

how small are the trees i.e 200 300 400 mm ? and the only thing a steel wedge will do that either plastics or ali high lifts wont do is fuck your chain if you touch a steel wedge,

• Like 2

Must admit i prefer the small alloy wedges (mibee only 4") as a handy pocket wedge for keeping the cut open and bar unpinched, but i wouldn't advise hitting it with much thou.

So not really a felling wedge

I also would really be wanting to use steel in smal trees as chances of touching it with chain will be higher if u need to take more hinge off, with a big tree u should have more room for bars and wedges so not really an issue

I do like steel wedges but for bigger heavy trees just to get them started before i put the hi lifts in, i find u have to knock hell out of ur wedges intially to get the tree started sometimes if ur aainst the wieght. Can take its toll on the hi lift shanks (i also double ring my hi lift shanks)

Dunno how big ur trees are or wot wieght/lean in them, but a great big felling bar is a bloody handy thing, amazing the leverage u get with the 5ft bars. I tend to use a wee wedge then get tree rocking with the big bar pushing the wedge in a bit more each time

• Like 1