How much wood do I have??

briquette_seller

We ran a few bags off yesterday and were surprised when we stacked them next to the bags that were done 4 weeks ago, now some of the heights difference may be due to the bags relaxing in this heat but the logs are also now very dry sub 20%, all the bags were shaken and topped up same as the previous ones ! we would think 10% shrinkage IMG_3261.jpg

• Like 1

We've got about 100 cube at the yard, all tinder dry now with the heat we've had. Nothing over about 16% MC

I've got a shipping container ready to load on the artic going to Devon with 22 cube of chunky firewood for our new house. 

The losses incurred through chainsaw rather than bandsaw must far outweigh any notional losses through shrinkage I’d have thought? 

I cut with chainsaw and end up with masses of sawdust - that’s all lost firewood. 

Im guessing (on a larger scale) the productivity v lost volume v bi product disposal v cost of machinery etc etc would be considerations if firewood is a significant part (or all) of the main business effort. 

Where does the break even point sit for the expense of firewood processing machinery as opposed to hand cutting? I’m guessing there are elements of time / convenience to consider also. I’ve often looked at the band and table saws and can’t quite justify the expense as it stands. That said, I’m only cutting for home use, be different if I was selling. 

Non of the chainsaw dust from my jobs goes to waste. I use one of these to reform it into brickettes. It often triples the job time, but I am totally ripped.

Thinking of getting one on a splitting ram so I can compress them more and save space. SI15899-40.jpeg

2 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

The losses incurred through chainsaw rather than bandsaw must far outweigh any notional losses through shrinkage I’d have thought? 

I cut with chainsaw and end up with masses of sawdust - that’s all lost firewood. 

Im guessing (on a larger scale) the productivity v lost volume v bi product disposal v cost of machinery etc etc would be considerations if firewood is a significant part (or all) of the main business effort. 

Where does the break even point sit for the expense of firewood processing machinery as opposed to hand cutting? I’m guessing there are elements of time / convenience to consider also. I’ve often looked at the band and table saws and can’t quite justify the expense as it stands. That said, I’m only cutting for home use, be different if I was selling. 

It may be lost firewood but the sawdust and processor debris/screenings still have a value.

One man's waste is anothers treasure.

3 hours ago, billpierce said:

Non of the chainsaw dust from my jobs goes to waste. I use one of these to reform it into brickettes. It often triples the job time, but I am totally ripped.

Thinking of getting one on a splitting ram so I can compress them more and save space. SI15899-40.jpeg

I thought I was frugal, but that's too much effort even for me ?

4 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

I doubt it

but probably only around 2% of the log is lost as sawdust, far more lost in splitniks and bark falling off

As I see it the major savings are in cutting rehandling and loading compared with a chainsaw and axe, plus the machine doesn't get tired.

1 hour ago, briquette_seller said:

It may be lost firewood but the sawdust and processor debris/screenings still have a value.

Handy for heating the drying floor if stocks get low in the winter