How much wood do I have??

briquette_seller

5 hours ago, woody paul said:

Like a trick question, 1 ton of lead or 1 ton of feathers which is heavier.

Wouldn't you think. The first yard space I rented when I did a few logs was from a local farmer, he TOLD me a cube of logs weighed a ton. I kid you not.

1 hour ago, bilke_user said:

The ammounts of shrinkage is so small they can be ignored in real world situations, i.e throwing split logs into a box

here's some hypothesis for you 

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/dimensional-shrinkage/

That web page has a strange way of presenting it to my eyes.

Yes I agree if is not very significant but it should be noticeable.

If you take a hypothetical lump of wood and split it up so it exactly fits in a  1m by 1m by 1m box and dry it from green to 10% (easily attainable in this weather) you might see a reduction of 0.1% in the lengths, 4% in the radial dimension and 7.5% in the tangential, multiply them all up and it would be about 12% volumetric shrinkage.

What I should have added is that as the cross section of the box  hasn't changed all this will be exhibited by a loss of height of the load.

Edited by openspaceman
Added last paragraph
  • Like 4

Well 100 cubic metres turned into 94 cubic metres. 

It might be a coincidence, but a weight loss of 6000kgs, is a moisture loss of 6000 litres, or 6 cubic metres. 

This wasn't fresh cut hardwoods, everything had sat for a good 12 months before processing. 

A significant loss, in my opinion. 

3 hours ago, briquette_seller said:

Well 100 cubic metres turned into 94 cubic metres. 

It might be a coincidence, but a weight loss of 6000kgs, is a moisture loss of 6000 litres, or 6 cubic metres. 

This wasn't fresh cut hardwoods, everything had sat for a good 12 months before processing. 

Which is about 6% so about half what I would expect from green to 10%mc wwb

All woods are different and I chose about middle of the range, I suspect oak would be worse than beech for instance

Edited by openspaceman
Logic mistake, meant green to dry

As we all know, if it’s sat in lengths even over 12 months there is very little moisture loss in a stack.
  • Like 1

On 09/07/2018 at 01:14, Steven P said:

anecdotal evidence really but I notice that logs stacked together tightly will loosen off a fair bit as they dry, could be them moving but I have always assumed it was each log losing volume as it drys

I've just been splitting some beech logs and both my axes heads are loose ,they are several years old so the wood is shrinking in this hot dry weather.