Unqualified and zero experience guy dismantle a tree using arb climbing methods ?

19 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

Most of us practical types are, or can be if need be, Jacks of all trades and master of none/one/some. Most tasks simply don't require a master's level of skill anyway so why pay for it? Never been easier with YouTube to figure stuff out. And the gear for all trades is getting cheaper all the time, with the notable exception of climbing Arb.

I suspect that there are less 'practical types' coming along though - having recently had to teach a sixteen year old how to use a tape measure :confused1:  

2 minutes ago, Gary Prentice said:

I suspect that there are less 'practical types' coming along though - having recently had to teach a sixteen year old how to use a tape measure :confused1:  

Yep, had a young 'un with me a good while back when it came on the travel news that the A14 was closed ahead of us, "get the atlas from a under the seat, lad", he opened it at a random page, he didn't know how to read it!

1 minute ago, eggsarascal said:

Yep, had a young 'un with me a good while back when it came on the travel news that the A14 was closed ahead of us, "get the atlas from a under the seat, lad", he opened it at a random page, he didn't know how to read it!

Can you you still buy road maps?

2 hours ago, Gary Prentice said:

The first tree company that I worked for in the 80's used to use dynamite to remove stumps before stump-grinders made their appearance. :scared::D

We were still using belex on an immediate use licence as late as 1990, the customer would not allow stump grinding for fear of spread of honey fungus, so a lifting and splitting charge was used by a chap who had been in the RE. He was a bit gung ho and at the end of play when he had some left over heused it all up on the last stump, big mustake.My only other experience was in about 1974 when  a chap with a bit more of as scientific approach was used to splite stumps that had been excavated by one of those new fangled  Hymac 360 tracked excavators. On that occassion I was impressed how the dirt was knocked off and the split bits could easily be burnt.