Unqualified and zero experience guy dismantle a tree using arb climbing methods ?

A neighbour of mine asked me to dismantle an alder for him. I was happy to do the job on a Saturday when I had returned from some time away. When I got home last Sunday the tree was gone. No hassle to me because I’m busy enough. Last Wednesday he stops me while I’m putting kit in the landie and says, “ I should do your job on the side mate, it’s easy.” I reply “of course it is !” Then he told me he had studied google and you tube for a day and bought plus borrowed enough knowledge and kit to dismantle the 30ft ish alder. I offer him some part time work.

Questions

1. Is this tale possible ?

2. Which one of you guys did it ?

[emoji23]?

If you can see every possible consequence of everything you need to do to the tree then common sense will prevail and anyone could do it safely.

The problems, as with all walks of life, is when your assessment misses something and then you get all the youtube failure scenarios resulting from the unexpected (or missing the obvious).

'A man's gotta know his limits' Dirty Harry

• Like 2

You have hit it on the head. It’s visualising what can happen next and then planning for it. YouTube is a brilliant educational tool, even the “funny” fails. I remember one where the bloke had rigged a heavy limb and when he had finished the cut it swung onto his leg causing a terrible compound fracture. He would have just thought “ I cut the branch and it falls to the ground. Simples”

As above, anyone can go and buy climbing kit and a chainsaw - even top handles, either secondhand or take the chance new (I've brought at least one new 201 without being asked for my ticket). A bit of time on YouTube, and this doesn't surprise me in the least.

A landscaper friend of mine once asked where to get a harness and rope from, as he wanted to learn. When I enquired further, it turned out he'd taken down an 80' Eucalyptus by going up it with a pocket of 9" nails, a hammer and a 046 tied to his belt. Bang nail in, take step up, repeat! Reckoned once he got to 50', he decided that was high enough and took the top out from there ?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Gaz-exRM said:

A neighbour of mine asked me to dismantle an alder for him. I was happy to do the job on a Saturday when I had returned from some time away. When I got home last Sunday the tree was gone. No hassle to me because I’m busy enough. Last Wednesday he stops me while I’m putting kit in the landie and says, “ I should do your job on the side mate, it’s easy.” I reply “of course it is !” Then he told me he had studied google and you tube for a day and bought plus borrowed enough knowledge and kit to dismantle the 30ft ish alder. I offer him some part time work.

Questions

1. Is this tale possible ?

2. Which one of you guys did it ?

emoji23.png?

sounds like your a bit pissed at what your neighbour has done with his tree and  what he said to you about your job being easy, but you have to remember some people are quick learners and naturals at some things and others are just hopeless, 1 lad i know and i have watched him carefully on some other companys jobs has got a cs30/31 and i do not know how he got it, only thing with me that comes to mind is the asscessor on the day was stevie wonder, your neighbour may be the opposite and may of taken to it like a duck to water , ask him for a sat morning and see what his reaction is he may supprise you ,

Yeah it can be done. I've done it a few times. Took down a whole row of 30+ft Leylandi once that where over hanging 3 sheds with side branches up to a ft thick. Zero training or experience and minimal equipment which included no top handle saw. Took an age though and was not enjoyable but it got done...