Remember when the British legal system was the envy of the world?

Inoff the Red

2 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

Again, if it's to be believed, the police were found to be lieing, they said they hadn't spoken to one of the defendants friends who was there on the night even though that friend had email evidence to prove the police had contacted him. The police have then gone ahead and provided the CPS with evidence that they have to make a "call" on. That imo simply isn't good enough. This bloke would/could have be sent to prison because the police haven't done their job properly. That's without the fact That he was put out of a job. 

In this case the police would have had more time for policing if they hadn't had officer wasting time following up non-leads, and attending court cases, yet they will still retire (at an early age) on a pretty nice pension. I'm not suggesting all coppers are bent, but someone, whoever the buck stops with should be brought to account.

'Lying' might be a bit far fetched; one cop may not have known another had written an e-mail but whatever I didn't read that bit (the article did ramble).

You're right, it simply isn't good enough and the cops would agree with you but it happens because there are only 24 hours in a day!

Following up 'non-leads'; I know what you mean but they have no choice - they have to investigate everything, hence the time factor coming into it again.

And I doubt very, very much if there is an element of bent cops here; they were overworked, undertrained and just didn't have time.

I can't prove any of this of course just as we on here can't prove any of what's in the article; remember we have only what the acquitted defendant has said to go on.

Eggs, we'll politely agree to disagree on certain points I hope.  I do get where you're coming from - it's not an ideal state of affairs to say the least.  But the failings are system-based more than person-based, though no-one's perfect.

I'm off on me hols in a bit so that's it from me. ?

Having had a little sleep on this, how often have we heard about the old bill deliberately withholding evidence from the defence team? Which seems to have happened in the above case.

The CPS are dreadful for it, disclosing five times late or not at all. Ask any criminal defence lawyer.

14 minutes ago, AHPP said:

The CPS are dreadful for it, disclosing five times late or not at all. Ask any criminal defence lawyer.

If you read the link it's got nothing to do with one copper sending an email and another not knowing anything about it. The two people who the old bill denied speaking to had both made statements, not had an informal chat. How they can then go on to say they hadn't spoken to those people and still get a case to court is beyond belief.

I'm sure it was down to being overworked and under staffed, not.

They must think we all came down with the last shower.

• Like 1

At least those people can be called by the defence. Little comfort to someone dragged through it for months/years though.
There’s a lot wrong with the criminal system just in the admin (bad cops and CPS aside). Go and sit in a crown court for a few hours. Ask the usher (probably sitting at computer near the way in) what’s happening if it’s not obvious. It’ll be 10% actual legal stuff and the rest will be a judge on £130,000 a year asking for the tenth time that day why the wrong prisoner is on the video link or why he isn’t there when he ordered that he should be or whether someone could look round the building for him. Meanwhile, a defendant will be marooned in another courtroom because his brief is stuck exchanging chit chat with ushers and oppos while the clerk is on the phone trying to get a trial date this century.