Selling poplar as firewood

gdh

1 minute ago, Big J said:

I really like poplar. Perfect compromise between softwood and hardwood. Lights off a single match with no need for kindling, bright flame, strong heat and leaves a bed of embers. So it doesn't last as long as oak, but if you split it now, it would be sub 20% by September (it dries extremely quickly).

And takes up moisture really quickly so keep it covered . ?

• Like 2

Very true. Still one of my favourite firewoods though.

I've 22 cubic metres loaded into a container ready to take to Devon for next winter. No poplar sadly, but the larch that is in there is the driest I've ever had in Scotland. 10-13%, which is Scotland truly exceptionally dry. 

So take advantage of this summer folks. It's like a kiln for your timber!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stubby said:

If you " take the hit " and sell it as soft wood you will be breaching the trades descriptions act as it is indeed hard wood .   The thing with pop is to keep it dry ( more so than other woods ) as its make up , once seasoned , makes it react like blotting paper  and will take up moisture like no other . I use this next line quite a bit .........Dave ( Skyhuck ) boiled his central heating  burning pop . .......

I meant softwood prices rather than literally, that's what's putting me off is saying to every customer that I've got poplar available at softwood prices which makes it sound bad whereas I don't want to put it in with hardwood. 

Absorption shouldn't be a huge issue as all our logs are stored undercover - for what that's worth with our winters...

It's a shame no one wants to mill it either as there's some decent pieces.

I assume the central heating system was low on water as well? Not just from poplar :)

3 hours ago, richardwale said:

I quite like the stuff, burns well, gives off good heat. What's not to like!

Oh I agree but it burns like softwood - fast - hence my attitude to it.

I don't consider it 'bad' firewood, just not worthy of being included in a load of premium priced product.

1 hour ago, Mono said:

Poplar is a hardwood.

When properly seasoned is a good firewood. No reason you couldn’t mix it in with your other hardwoods for sale.

My post below this is not intended as criticism!  It's just personal choice.  I have clients - one in particular ? - who have said 'lovely logs but the odd one burnt a bit fast compared to the others', the meaning being 'I object to paying top money for it'!

Would be interested to know the real time difference in burn time between different hard woods( in a modern stove)  Sure, oak and euc etc will burn the longest but I bet in the real world it’s not going to to make such a big impact difference. A bit like super unleaded v unleaded in your sons first car.

Hmm - I think you'd find pop pretty far down the list for longevity of burn.  Oak, ash, euc, robinia, beech, syc make up nearly all my hardwood and would be well ahead of pop in those stakes.

But there's no right or wrong, just preference.

I think a better fuel-in-the-car comparison would be unleaded vs meths!