camping in a non campsite

PDizzle

Hi All,

Random question for you all but i figure between everyone theres a pretty good knowledge base here.

me and the mrs are going away for a weekend and staying in a hotel sunday night. We're travelling down to just north of torquay in Devon. I'd really like to go down on saturday and make the most of the weekend but I wanted to ask if anyone knew of any decent spots to stay. I've sort of converted the truck into a camper so I'd like to use that, in my head im wanting to find a hilltop overlooking the sea or a nice quiet beach we could drive onto and stay there for the evening/night then move on in the morning.

are there any restrictions to this? does anyone know of any quiet spots around that area we could pitch up for the night? I wouldnt mind paying but that would suggest we'd have to be near other people and thats what im trying to avoid!

anyone done anything similar?

A lot of car parks will say its illegal to overnight park. Me and the Mrs did 3 nights on the Cornish Coast parking up in such 'illegal' car parks over looking the sea and nothing came of it.

I think the rules are there to stop people setting up camp for weeks on end, if your in and out no-one will even notice :)

• Like 1

Hiding in plain view is getting more difficult in vans/motorhomes in England. Go for it but don't have a drink in case you get moved on.

It's people taking the pi$$ again. Turn up, set up tables and chairs, wind out awning and you're asking for trouble, find somewhere out of the way park up stay in the van or go for a walk/pub and sneak back you should be fine.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, westphalian said:

Go onto wild camping.co.uk. It’s for campervans. They show you nice spots all over the country. It’s legal to park and sleep anywhere, just no “camping “ ie wheels on ramps, jacks down, table outside

Lots of popular overnighting spots are sticking up signs saying "no motorhomes or campervans" between 8pm and 8am. Whether it's law or not its being enforced by many councils.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, westphalian said:

<snip>

It’s legal to park and sleep anywhere, just no “camping “ ie wheels on ramps, jacks down, table outside

To what extent does this^ depend on the land-owner?

Surely if Nat. Trust or Local Council by-law says no camping on ground owned by them, then no camping there is.

The road on the seafront at Meadfoot beach torquay has suitable laybys  , have seen vans overnight there before , right next to road though , but not really busy at night , East facing so if weather is good you could wake up to a sunrise over the sea looking towards Thatcher Rock ... also some other roads very nearby  may be suitable , one spot overlooking Hopes Nose is parked on all night by fishermen ..... nearest toilets are at Meadfoot Beach though ... Another nice spot about 1hours drive away is South Hallsands beach ... again great spot but no facilities at all  , also east facing for sunrise ...

Lots of popular overnighting spots are sticking up signs saying "no motorhomes or campervans" between 8pm and 8am. Whether it's law or not its being enforced by many councils.

Not legal. There are campervan owners that go round taking them down