Have you made any financial savings since installing your stove?

There are a lot of factors to consider such as:-

• Type of stove
  • Type of fuel
  • Cost of fuel
  • How often the stove is used
  • Whether a boiler is attached
  • Green factors
  • Etc

but I would be interested to learn whether those who have installed wood burning/multi fuels stoves have seen a big swing either way in their heating costs.

Edited by BowlandStoves

Yes . My gas bill is significantly less than other people in a similar house . Burley Hollywell stove . I have a huge pile of fire wood that is the result of previously working in this industry . So cost zero .  Still use the gas to heat hot water but the rads seldom come on and go off very quickly when the stove is lit .

I have gas where I live at the moment but have rarely used it so a significant saving.  I'm moving soon to a cottage with no gas supply or oil tank.  I shall rely on a stove for heat and hot water with an immersion heater as back up.  

I have a rayburn which does our heating, hot water (supplies washing machine and dishwasher hot water also) 4 rads, and a lot of cooking. All my wood is arb arisings from my work.

We have an electric oven and gas hobs used occasionally in winter and a lot in summer. We us a on big 54kg gas bottle a year sometimes it lasts longer. Out leccy Bill is 75 to 125quid a quarter. Usually by 50kg of coal mined from Alston just down the road per year for those really cold days.

Sure I save money, but it is some graft to cut and stack enough logs to see us through a wheelbarrow of mixed hard and softwood a day all winter. If I were buying it in I suspect it would cost a fortune

• Like 2

I had a wood burner fitted before last winter and it got a lot of use. When I submitted my gas meter readings recently with Scottish Power, it showed my last year usage compared to this year on a graph. The previous year had a big peak, but this year the peak was gone and just a constant line which I assume is just normal cooking and hot water. So yes, a big difference on what was effectively a much colder winter too.

As a stump grinder, there are generally lots of trees just been cut down when I arrive so I am never short of free firewood!:thumbup:

SG

• Like 1

I use my log burner as the main source of heat, and get the logs out of my small woodland so zero cost. Except petrol for the chainsaw etc. and my labour. We have central heating but it very rarely comes on. We heat our water with gas and cook with electric but the bills are very low.

• Like 1

Personally I cant ever see a situation where the long term upwards trend in gas and electricity prices will change. We may have some short term reductions but supply/demand issues, etc will always mean the trend is higher. Even if we were to see an increase in the cost of fuel for stoves (I cant see why we would to be honest) I dont think it would match the long term increase in gas and electricity prices.

* Sorry, I meant that I cant see the cost of wood going up as strongly as gas and electric - although I could be wrong

Edited by BowlandStoves

1 hour ago, BowlandStoves said:

Even if we were to see an increase in the cost of fuel for stoves (I cant see why we would to be honest)

The price of fuel wood goes up every year! I cut and collect what I can, but usually have to buy a load or two to top up. Always more expensive than it was the previous year, supply and demand again I suppose. If log burners were taxed they'd be less attractive and maybe wood costs would come down again...

I've got more logs than I know what to do with! Mostly softwood and lesser hardwoods (horse chestnut and goat willow) but must have a few years worth in stock! I'd better get the willow off the ground before it takes root

7 hours ago, Stubby said:

Yes . My gas bill is significantly less than other people in a similar house . Burley Hollywell stove . I have a huge pile of fire wood that is the result of previously working in this industry . So cost zero .  Still use the gas to heat hot water but the rads seldom come on and go off very quickly when the stove is lit .

My experience is similar except I haven't a huge pile of firewood nor anywhere to store more than the ~2m3 solid wood I burn each year.

If I run out then I'm sure it will show up in an increased gas bill.