Yard Space

TimberCutterDartmoor

Sounds like ££££££'s

If your setting up a new yard, try and get the right location for the future expansion of your business. Time spent now is money saved later.

Look for old dairy farms, they usually have redundant buildings/yard spaces.

Thats how I got my first yard, it was level and a decent size, and free!

If you don't ask you don't get.

One thing I have found with farmers is they all know eachother, even when they live some distance appart, so name-dropping the guy who has given you the land could help you get something better ( I find they're a bit suspicious of anyone who isn't a farmer).

Thanks for this chaps. Thanks also for the road advice - think I've got enough now! Renders the proposed location (pic'd) even less attractive since I don't think he's going to allow hardcore for a moment. Just having my tea now; off to disused farm number 1 afterwards in a mo to cold call. Wish me luck! Hope their reaction to a complete stranger isn't the shotgun! What is the carrot I need to offer?

04112009027.jpg.146c9b1850844e28c7dd080b944175d0.jpg

04112009026.jpg.7c61a342fc73c600cdbc52aa53e43c71.jpg

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Firewood in return for a yard?

Some annual tree/fencing work?

A fixed amount of wood in lieu of rent. Again, I can only speak from my own experience but farmers vary as much as any group of people. You may find one who'll bite yr arm off, or one who wants loadsa money. Main concern would be that your legit, no farmer that I know would grant access to anyone they didn't think was genuine. If your honest and open then who knows, nothing ventured etc... Happy hunting!

Wrong farmer.

I asked a friendly farmer if I could burn brash on his farm for free 5 years ago.

Now I've an acre of land and a 2 story secure unit to use free of charge, Hes sold his cows works with us regularly and makes in excess of £20K from our fire wood. Its just about finding a mutually benificial arrangement

It's one of the hardest things to find - a good big yard for a cheap price. It's not that they don't exist it's that people are too suspicious of having a stranger on their land.

I think you have to keep cold calling, talking to people and maybe an ad in the local paper (and say you can provide contactable references).

If you think you'll get stuck regularly in the mud I would forget it - the stress and wasted time will do your head in. If it's a long term thing you're planning then I would hold off and keep looking for the right spot.

Free firewood is def worth offering and could be a good way to reduce potential rent.

Jesus, How much land where you after?? :001_smile:

Corner of a field for chip, logs and a small fire. If I didnt want the field I could dump brash to burn for £80 a load!:sneaky2:

Most of the farms around Berkshire / Surrey are stuck up livery yard owners with more money than sense and pick some stupid £££ out of the air and you can take it or leave it!

another option is if your well pally with a couple of other tree lads is buy some where & devide between you, so what you may have a morgage on the land, BUT no one can turf you off becouse they have had a change of heart 2,yrs down the line or buy it & rent bits out to cover/part cover out goings on it ,buying my yard was probaly 1, of my better bussiness moves :thumbup1: