Yard Space

TimberCutterDartmoor

Concrete railway sleepers are good for making tracks & you can take them back up after easily to move them or level out any that drop, and they will take a high loading

You just need to dig the ground out so they are just proud of the surrounding ground surface which also stops the moving sideways then put gravel in the gaps.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

my yard is only accesable by 4x4 in the winter, and my other dump sites are quite small so fill up quickly with woodchip.this is a problem im going to have to do something about in the near future. unfortunately alot of the farms round this way have gone and are now divided up into nice little paddocks for the horsey folk.

Ok chaps; just got back from Farm #1. Bad news and good. He said he was having cattle in over the winter so no space but I reckon from simple observation that there were plenty of suitable buildings. I only need something approx 30' by 20' footprint to begin with and high enough to reverse a trailer into and frankly he had numerous ruins like this. Anyway, neh bother, I thanked him for his time etc, he took a card, was very amiable and recommended someone else, would you believe about 350 yards from my place! So I still have 2 options to pursue yet (prior to more coming!). Really grateful for the advice btw, you lot are ace. :thumbup1:

The biggest problem i have at the moment is I can only get an 8 wheeler in the entrance. Which makes it hard for cord wood deliveries. I have concreted an 8 metre pad which makes life much easier for loading with bobcat. What would be ideal is an old grain store with vents in the floor. Your fire wood is also out of sight out of mind of the people looking for scrap metal. Good luck with your search. Try your local pub at about 10.30 people are often in a better mood by then.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!

Wow! Not often what's just happened happens! Tried a few more farms this morning and was pleasantly surprised by the response; supportive of the idea but no space nonetheless.

Thanks must go to my climber, Lee Tomlinson. He'd been chatting to a surveyor who recently bought an old convent come cattery (!) and had a few outbuildings. Suggested it might be worth a visit.

Not long returned and am exstatic to put it mildly. As described, former cattery recently purchased by the chap. I put my idea across and he almost exploded with glee! He has sheds, concrete pads and barns everywhere - "take your pick he said. In fact, move your timber in now and use any of that space / buildings over there. Then I'll think we'll restore that barn over there and you could use that if you like. In fact that will galvanise me into doing it".

Unbelievable!

He was showing me around and I muttered something about giving him something in return. "Some firewood would be nice" - that's it!!!

This place is about 5 mins from my house, has superb access but also has good security.

It gets even better! All in all he must have about 40 acres, trees everywhere. "I've been looking for a tree surgeon" he said...

Like a kid in a candy store I am! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: