Jo Beau M500

forestboy1978

10 hours ago, billpierce said:

Nails are a definite no

I highly suggest hiring a decent 6inch chipper and the m500 or similar . They will be very different machines.

What do you mean? Just to get a feel?

I realise that a 6 inch chipper will be quicker and better but I can't get one in my van and I want to be able to get into gardens also with ease. 

How much difference can there be. I have watched videos of the Jo Beau in operation and it seems a very good little chipper. 

• Like 1

That's great - Coletti's video is one of the major reasons I decided to get my M500 as you can see the branches are pulled in pretty quickly and at some points there are two people feeding. There is no nursing of sticks which you have to do with smaller machines.

After a year I still say it's a great machine for a startup or small crew. I've subbed for a firm with bigger chippers and given the right circumstances it is true a 6" road tow can process timber roughly twice as fast, but I think it depends on the job how much of an advantage this is.

Trying to attach photo of a birch I took down today, everything had to go out round the conservatory and through the garage so it all had to be cut into pieces anyway, and it took about 40 minutes to chip everything once it was all in big pile out the front, so on this job a bigger chipper would have saved about 20 minutes. I've also removed trees where the owner wanted to keep the chip so I drove to the tree and threw everything in, no dragging saves a lot of time.

On big trees or site clearance an M500 isn't the right tool, but I'm still building up experience so don't have trucks or manpower for those jobs either.PSX_20180704_171710.jpeg

• Like 2

Yeah I think it's the machine for me. As I've stated. If looked after it would be worth keeping after expansion to a bigger chipper for it's versatility and light weight if one had the storage space etc. It's very useful and not half bad as an all round chipper it seems. Keep me going anyway until I can afford the Forst XR8 ?

Fencing is diabolical BTW. I hope you weren't responsible ?

Yeah I think it's the machine for me. As I've stated. If looked after it would be worth keeping after expansion to a bigger chipper for it's versatility and light weight if one had the storage space etc. It's very useful and not half bad as an all round chipper it seems. Keep me going anyway until I can afford the Forst XR8 [emoji6]

Fencing is diabolical BTW. I hope you weren't responsible [emoji6]

No, not me. Fence just about survived having sawdust blown off and then we made a quick exit.
  • Like 1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TecTake-Hand-Trolley-Wagon-XXL/dp/B00AC25BRI/ref=pd_sbs_328_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00AC25BRI&pd_rd_r=d1118d06-8138-11e8-ad2a-8df02f99e812&pd_rd_w=ysSri&pd_rd_wg=cKsuB&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=5179604776422437276&pf_rd_r=5KP76QM5M3XE2KMDVH9X&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=5KP76QM5M3XE2KMDVH9X

I'm thinking something like that would be ideal for getting chip out of a garden. Will take 0.2m3 of chip weighing 100kg max per load. Winched up ramps onto trailer. Bobs your uncle...

I can just about pull up 100kg up my ramps onto trailer but it's the limit of my strength. Multiple loads would get tiring. I have a simple manual winch that I can bolt to the top of the cage I'm thinking. 

Jo Beau into garden. Trolley into garden. Chip out load by load. Seems a damn site easier than dragging branches outside to chip and saves so much of a clean up after....

What do your reckon?

2 minutes ago, forestboy1978 said:

I'm thinking something like that would be ideal for getting chip out of a garden. Will take 0.2m3 of chip weighing 100kg max per load. Winched up ramps onto trailer. Bobs your uncle...

I can just about pull up 100kg up my ramps onto trailer but it's the limit of my strength. Multiple loads would get tiring. I have a simple manual winch that I can bolt to the top of the cage I'm thinking. 

Jo Beau into garden. Trolley into garden. Chip out load by load. Seems a damn site easier than dragging branches outside to chip and saves so much of a clean up after....

What do your reckon?

I recon if the link worked I could comment on it..  how much is it?..

I'd say it's £70 for a reason!  My dairy farmer cousin bought one very similar for carrying buckets of milk to the calves:  once of smooth concrete it spent more time on its side than upright.  Bits bent, broke, fell off and he abandoned it in a month.

I don't know how tight money is (not very if you can contemplate a new M500!); have you considered an Arb Trolley for which you could build a chip box/cage if you're determined to drag chip out in quantity?

Having extracted said chip you could take the cage off and go back for the logs ?

• Like 2