motivation

Stephen Blair

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The business failed, but the MAN didn't.

trying to see where your coming from here Dave - are you saying that if if a man is made bankrupt, then he is a failure?

Or that a business may fail, but a man may (if full of grit and determination) pull himself up by the bootstraps and carry on?

I suppose my motivation is to make my Dad proud of my achievement. Though he died 7yers ago, I like to think he looks down and thinks I'm doing ok. He worked in the job for many years, and still worked up to his death. He never really said much in the way of encouragement when we worked, but he was always telling everyone else how good I was:confused1::001_smile:

I now have a way of earn a reasonable living, doing a job I enjoy, and on the whole thats good enough for me. I've made a great many friends through this job, and that is worth more than money in many respects.

trying to see where your coming from here Dave - are you saying that if if a man is made bankrupt, then he is a failure?

Or that a business may fail, but a man may (if full of grit and determination) pull himself up by the bootstraps and carry on?

My dad ran the business, it was HE who took credit, it was HE who shuck the bank managers hand, when the business was unable to pay back moneys owed, my dad worked "outside" the business to pay back some of the moneys owed, the remaining dept he turned into personal dept and paid back over the following years.

So yes the business did fail, but because my dad knew it was HE who had agreed to the transactions and was not prepared to allow others to lose money because of decisions he had made, even though some of the reasons for the failed business were out side of his control.

My dad ran the business, it was HE who took credit, it was HE who shuck the bank managers hand, when the business was unable to pay back moneys owed, my dad worked "outside" the business to pay back some of the moneys owed, the remaining dept he turned into personal dept and paid back over the following years.

So yes the business did fail, but because my dad knew it was HE who had agreed to the transactions and was not prepared to allow others to lose money because of decisions he had made, even though some of the reasons for the failed business were out side of his control.

Sounds like a very honourable man. What would have happened had his creditors not agreed to wait for their money, and applied to make him bankrupt?