STIHL LAUNCHES NEW ENHANCED CORDLESS ARBORIST SAW

Steve Bullman

Battery saws are the future. Die hard fume breathers notwithstanding. 

Has anyone tested it yet? Is it better than the Husq? 

I'm in the market for a battery top handle in the next 3 months but I'm waiting cos you kinda commit to a whole line of battery equipment from 1 manufacturer once you've pulled the trigger so it's a big decision. 

• 3 months later...

After testing the 161 at the APF with the 200 battery and found it to be 40% faster cutting than the 160, have any of you bought one and if so which batteries did you go for.

The guy Stihl had at the APF was a full on tree surgeon and he said he found the 300 battery too heavy and wasn't worth the extra weight for a longer run time.

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking at cordless chainsaws again recently, and was hoping to find  something like a 'Which' style technical comparison of the cordless offerings from Stihl, Husqvarna, and Makita somewhere on here, or the internet...without any success... anyone spotted anything useful ?

Was surprised to see the 36v Makita had a faster chain speed than the Stihl  MS 161T  ( 24m/s against 16m/s for stihl ). Also noticed the new stihl with typical battery weighs exactly the same as MS 201T, so no great advantage there either !

☹️

Well, as I thought, the 161 has a bigger sprocket than the 160 - 9 tooth as opposed to 7 tooth. This accounts for the higher chain speed. But the motor must be producing more torque as well, so it's pulling more amps. My question is: is it actually a new and different motor, or is it the same motor as the 160, but with a different chip? In short, has the motor been throttled in the 160, and opened up for the 161, and marketed as "new"?

I can find a part number for the motor for the 160, but not for the 161. In fact, no parts AT ALL for the 161. I can find zero parts diagrams, useful images, teardown vids, or discussion about this matter for the 161. It almost feels like a media blackout.

If my 160 actually turns out to be a throttled 161 with a smaller sprocket...well, I'll be looking for a way to "un-throttle" it. 

Anybody shed some light on this?

• Like 2