Timberwolf chipper blades

33bk

The new reversible blades on the Timberwolf chipper come with a curve on the cutting education ge ,

I’ve just got mine back from being sharped from a big company and they’ve Take the curve off ? Is this normal before I phone up to have a moan ? 

Cheers ears mike 

I sharpen my own TW knives Mike, I have done both hollow and straight grinds on them. The hollow ground knives are definitely better on conny and willow, cant say there is much in it on hardwoods.

You get a finer cutting edge on the hollow ground vs the straight, exaggerated below but you can see whats going on.

Bob

F5B88BC6-C543-4B60-86E7-3A835E03FA02_zps

This has been raised before, I used both and never noticed a difference (this was on an old 150)

However TW chimed in and said that that the hollow blades are better for the machine (main rotor bearings etc.)

How much difference it really makes.... I dunno.

Flat here.

i get mine sharpened by saw doctor at large sawmill.

hollow ground definitely chip better but don’t stay sharp as long.

after half a days chipping, no difference imo.

also, with flat ground there’s less ground off to get sharp again as edge not as easily damaged.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If it was not important to have them hollow ground, timber wolf would not bother, as presumably they want them ground to a set radius as opposed to whatever diameter your grinding wheel has worn down to..

Funnily enough, i have got a proper tool and cutter grinder here. I wonder if i should have a go at doing one myself..

john..