Beech Failure - building damage / road closure / power out

2 hours ago, treeseer said:

re a rod being removed, I don't believe it.  Once installed, they are near impossible to get out.  Plus the scar from that operation should have been quite visible in the fallen piece.

TPOs are quite rare in the US.

Pondering your very valid point about ‘sign’ of a previous brace. 

Ive only known the tree for 10 years and have no recollection of a brace in that time frame. 

That said, and noting your comment about being state side, I’m not sure if you’d be familiar with a typically idiosyncratic characteristic of English village life?

People have an uncanny ability (and take great delight) in recounting the most apparently irrelevant and minute detail of village history.

It would, for example, come as no surprise if, completely out of the blue, someone recounted, in spectacular detail, how Jago Benburthy was to blame for Liskeard Young Farmers losing the tug-o-war to St Neot in 1967 because he didn’t have the right change and was delayed at the bar of the Liskeard show. 

Its insane! Sometimes it’s just as a result of 1 person saying something (with conviction) and it being repeated so many times it ‘becomes’ fact, and sometimes it really is a gem of local history. Knowing 1 from the other is the key!!

The other stem & crown is coming out tomorrow with both stems due out by Tuesday next week - might get a closer look-see then. 

15 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

It would, for example, come as no surprise if, completely out of the blue, someone recounted, in spectacular detail, how Jago Benburthy was to blame for Liskeard Young Farmers losing the tug-o-war to St Neot in 1967 because he didn’t have the right change and was delayed at the bar of the Liskeard show. 

xD great stuff, love that quirky/quaint English type of thing.

Tree looked well fcked.

On 03/07/2018 at 08:26, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

The vicar, now departed, actually swore when I told him about this chap's attempts to get the tree reduced / removed by illicit means (I mention that because he was such a lovely man and a true gent so it was quite a shock to hear him swear - unlike the vicar from my childhood village who propelled himself around at great speed in one of the light blue plastic 3 wheelers due to his wooden leg (speed seemed excessive but given the scale of things was all much bigger when I were a yoof it's obvious now that it will have been no more than 10 mph), he had to drive due to being too pi55ed to walk, was banned from all 3 pubs for lewd and riotous behaviour, and was having an illicit affair with the previous vicar's daughter - any way, I digress!

This is something straight out of Jethro......Are you from St Just??