Considering increasing our Firewood prices

arboriculturist

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to compile such a detailed post. 

Your model wouldn't work for us as it is so rural here and 99% of people request by the m3.

If our location had the footfall I would love to sell smaller quantities and offer collection at a premium price as there is certainly the demand. There again retailing from a site requires planning consent, which is not always straightforward.

What's your view on gaining consent for retailing Firewood from a site?

?

Yep I think we will give it a go. Not experienced the price hike in wood yet as we bought in early but sounds like the next lot will be costing more. Any recommends for nice tidy numbers to round up to? Been at £100 for 1m3 plus vat at 5% which is all very tidy. 

10 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Yep I think we will give it a go. Not experienced the price hike in wood yet as we bought in early but sounds like the next lot will be costing more. Any recommends for nice tidy numbers to round up to? Been at £100 for 1m3 plus vat at 5% which is all very tidy. 

I've been waiting for 6 weeks now since the last delivery, but after a lot of time and effort I hope to have 6 deliveries lined up from a wide range of sources , some has been down a fair while so may go this year. From what I hear a lot of Firewood retailers are throwing the towel in and that's sad to hear.

I think you will just have to retail at £110 and not mention the vat. The vat is inclusive of course - all above board.

We have a range of products and just advertise the prices customers pay. Start mentioning ex. vat, inc. vat etc. just confuses people.

The businesses like pubs just get issued an Invoice.

This approach is tried and tested.

I know I'm too cheap and would like to charge more, but I've just built the sides up on my small log trailer to hold 1 loose cube and now charge £80, it was £70. If I suddenly go up to the sort of prices talked about on here, I think my customers might be a little grumpy! I don't pay for timber though.

If that price works for you then great. 

Bottom line is you have to charge depending on what you need to make.

If you can walk away happy at £70 a cube then good for you. It's the same as the supermarkets, Lidel and Aldi have a great business model and sell cheap, no frills products that are excellent value. Firewood is no different, at the end of the day it's firewood and if it's as dry as Marks and Spencer's  firewood but much cheaper, what ya gonna buy?