Foolish mistake.

skc101fc

If you can attract swans they may help.  I used to have the devil's own job trying to establish ordinary lilies in a lake I managed.  Every introduction was ravaged by them.

Think any self respecting swan would turn up his beak at my pond. Would also need some fairly hefty air brakes to stop from hitting the far side[emoji2]
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

At moment mine still has a stable water level, but expecting it to be dropping any moment, the small mountain river keeping it topped up is drying, and the bogs that drain into it are also starting to dry. Worrying part currently is the river is our only water source both for our house and the farm.
If pond dries will make it easy to pull out the invader though.
[emoji848]

• 4 weeks later...
On 01/07/2018 at 20:21, spandit said:
At least your pond has water. Mine is dry and over the winter it was 15 foot deep...

IMG_2275.thumb.jpg.36e9a30b863c24641a32fc6be038276c.jpg

My little pond all but dried up so got the digger in to remove the iris I stupidly introduced. Just have to keep my eyes open for any I missed

IMG_2277.jpg

IMG_2275.jpg

Edited by Baldbloke

Several years ago in Brittany...
A guy buys a house with several fishing lakes 1-2 acres each.
Has a problem with Lillys.
Spends months neck deep hacking at the roots, and dredging the foliage.
Months later....
His girlfriend identifies the Lilly as a rare and valuable species.
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Now he sells them to nurseries and on eBay etc for about €7 a pop.
[emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]
With that and the fishing the guy is retiring at 35.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Bit late to the party.

And dunno if it would work in ur case, but i used to be involved with a fishing club and the ponds had a serious candaian pondweed problem made worse by us in the early days try to cut and dredge it out of the pond.

Putting a black plastic  sheet over the pond (or atleast part of the pond) it should stop daylight getting to th plant and kill it out.

Dunno if it would regrow after being killed out thou with the root structure.

It definately works for most pond pests, might depend wether u can do 1/2 ur pond at a time and then move i the following year or wether the lillies would spread out.

Be too late for this year but prob worth having a trail go next year easy enough to do and no chenmicals involved.

Ps 1 thing to watch if spraying/killing the plants off not so much any chemical but the rotten vegetation can take all oxygen out of the water, we killed a load of our fish 1 year sprayed too big an area and th erotten vege suffocated the fish but that pond was low in oxygen anyway as not much inflow to it

Well, I did a major pulling job on the weed earlier this summer, trying to pull out every rooting stolon I could find underwater.
3 months later wonder did I dream that I'd done the job at all. Bloody pond looks as it did before, so may try floating the plastic method, though I suspect the stolons will just spread to the edges where they'll find the light, and recultivate. Don't really want to cover whole pond - its a haven for newts, dragonfly and brown trout hatchlings. Also my geese will have a real fit and just claw their way through it.

Mibbe plastic a section and pull hard round its edges 2 or 3 times. But it won't be easy

Dunno the laws over ur way but in UK if u have newts it makes everything bloody expensize and complicated as need licences if u have newts, i doubt u'd even be allowed to pull weeds without a licence.