661 / 395

Mr. Squirrel

I know there have been a fair few threads comparing the two saws but just thought I'd throw it out there again to see what the latest thoughts are...

Buying my first big saw and debating which to go with. On paper the 661 cm is a bit of a beast, however from my 560 I'm fully aware modern saws can be less than they're cut out to be on paper. The weight and, i believe, size of the 661 is much more appealing for up a tree though. But I think the husky dealer round here is better at putting saws back together... 

Any thoughts or experiences? 

Cheers, C

Hi i think you said something there that may be needs a little more thought, husky dealer near me is better at putting saws back together, why would that be ? my personal view is small saws husky and any saw over 60cc stihl all the way, if your may be going to use it up trees a lot i think i would be having a look at the 462 72cc and only weighs 6kg and will run a 25" bar, the reviews on youtube all seem to rate it, just my thoughts.

1 hour ago, spuddog0507 said:

Hi i think you said something there that may be needs a little more thought, husky dealer near me is better at putting saws back together, why would that be ? my personal view is small saws husky and any saw over 60cc stihl all the way, if your may be going to use it up trees a lot i think i would be having a look at the 462 72cc and only weighs 6kg and will run a 25" bar, the reviews on youtube all seem to rate it, just my thoughts.

I just rate the mechanic at my local husky dealer a lot higher than the mechanic at the Stihl dealer. Aftercare and service quality matters when you're spending a grand on a saw and want to make it last...

Both will get the job done but in my experience huskys require a bit more tlc or they start being an arse. Not a problem if its your own saw and you keep on top of the basics, but if you have guys working for you and they lack mechanical sympathy I would suggest you go for the stihl. 

On 29/06/2018 at 15:02, Paul Mullany said:

Both will get the job done but in my experience huskys require a bit more tlc or they start being an arse. Not a problem if its your own saw and you keep on top of the basics, but if you have guys working for you and they lack mechanical sympathy I would suggest you go for the stihl. 

The 395 is pretty much bullet proof, similar to the MS660, rock solid construction and rarely have serious issues on both!

• Like 1