me new bigger pond

difflock

see att, currently unfilled,

I am gambling a mix of rising groundwater, rainfall and roof run-off, from some 550m2(and planning on adding another 200m2 shed) will fill it, fingers crossed.

I lifted the surrounding bank up about 600-700mm to "lose" the clay i.e. to increase the depth, got somewhere between 2 and 3 m deep I reckon, if it fills to brimming.

Clay is essentially rock flour courtesy of glacial outwash, locally notorious for its impermeable nature, i.e. mostly peat over such subsoil since there is almost zero drainage.

My trial pond holds water right up to ground level, when the water table is naturally a couple of feet down beneath the peat.

Fingers crossed(and almost wishing for rain!)

marcus

DSC00009 (800x600).jpg

• Like 6

Looking good! How is it going to be fed? And will it have an overflow.

recent drainage attempts at a Peat bed sitting on a hotbed of springs- decided with customer that drainage was going to be either futile or V expensive. I suggested digging out a pond to captures all the springs and pipe oveflow to a stream. it was 30 meters by 25meters and it filled in a few hours- no way that was going to be drained. I’l take some photos on Saturday when I finish grading the edges

• Like 1

Proper jealous of your springs Matthew,

my drainage will be via a 110mm/150mm Wavin to the origional trial pond and onward through existing drainage.

Unfortunately my supply is located beside  my logical drainage point, so I will need to re-route one of them, to encourage some sort of through flow.

mth

ps

looking forward to your photos Matthew

Edited by difflock

• 4 months later...

See semi filled pond, 

O.K.

Wrong way round, the first shows the origonal pond to the right, in front of the bulldozer, to which the new pond will drain across the top of the fresh peat, via a 150mm pipe, 2nd one is obviously the rapidly filling pond(so at least now when it pisses, there is a positive for me)

The glass house needs to be moved, but new location not yet decided, or indeed agreed!

Marcus

btw, It is my intention that this be an "infinity" pond, i.e. the water level is intended to rise to the very top of the raised bank, fingers crossed, seepage permitting.

A local tree hugging gentleman's eco-whatsit wife is going to source the local plants that will help to keep the water clean, though with an average(for our location) of 1000mm per annum from 500m2 of roof should probably be OK anyway.

I am toying with hiring a pump to pump the established pond over into the new one, partly to check if any of the fish are still living, and partly to "prime" the new pond with all the established watery goodness from the older pond?

DSC00056 (800x600).jpg

DSC00057 (800x600).jpg

Edited by difflock
  • Like 7

Thinking of a pontoon island?
Just need to figure the flotation mechanism
marcus

Drive some telegraph poles in to ground and make your floating obstacle to lay between them, then attach some galvanised ring brackets with rollers on em, they can then travel up / down ya poles depending on amount of water collected. Like floating jetties in harbours.

• 5 months later...

I rather intend to "moor" the floating island to the banks, with blue rope/marine grade bought-off-ebay rope.

Anyway filling nicely, cept the weather has been too bloody dry, Gerrrr!

see image taken recently, and I found a better 2nd  image 

OOPS

The true test is how well the superimposed clay banks retain the water, or how the inevitable seepage and evaporatitive losses outstrip the roof rainwater supply, over dry periods, BUT I will observe fill levels  over a couple of years, and then if needs be grade the bank down to near-enough meet the water surface level.

DSC00251 (800x600) (800x600).jpg

DSC00256 for intersnot.jpg

Edited by difflock
  • Like 4

Wow you will be able to swim in that cool as , have a look at crystal clear water a friend of mine looks after a big pond and he treated it with it when he first started and now it’s nice and clean to swim in ,not saying yours isn’t but just thought I would share the knowledge, good luck looks ace wish I had the land to do something like that