Why choose arboriculture?

westphalian

2 minutes ago, westphalian said:

i'm gonna have to stop telling porkies to you lot cos you believe em.

only the truth shall pass my lips from now on.

i can still get an erection, i have a full head of hair, i'm not 3 stone overweight, i still bat off women with a shitty stick and can ascend with SRT without pausing for breath after only a  few strokes

Hmm, still get the hard-on, the rest is almost believable.

• Haha 1

It's not what you do that makes for work fulfilment - it's who you do it with, and how you do it. I figured this out around early twenties. I can be happy as Larry digging trenches by hand in the rain, in the right company. And sometimes the right company isn't who you expect...pub friend's can turn into horrible people on site. My first real job was on a hippy building crew. Flexible hours, cash money, free lunch and complimentary grass into the bargain. Idyllic as it sounds, it was incredibly stressful...unspoken site politics, passive aggressive backstabbing, subtle bullying, shaming, you name it.

Edited by Haironyourchest
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

It's not what you do that makes for work fulfilment - it's who you do it with, and how you do it. I figured this out around early twenties. I can be happy as Larry digging trenches by hand in the rain, in the right company. And sometimes the right company isn't who you expect...pub friend's can turn into horrible people on site. My first real job was on a hippy building crew. Flexible hours, cash money, free lunch and complimentary grass into the bargain. Idyllic as it sounds, it was incredibly stressful...unspoken site politics, passive aggressive backstabbing, subtle bullying, shaming, you name it.

Quite surprising to me. 

Give me a stoner over a coke head any day.

3 hours ago, forestboy1978 said:

Quite surprising to me. 

Give me a stoner over a coke head any day.

I've only worked with one coke user, a head chef. He was a complete jerk...from working on a couple of stoner crews and talking with others who have done, I get the notion that it starts out chill and great comraderie then slowly gets messier and messier. Maybe it's me, who knows, but I'd now be wary of falling in with a crew where everyone is smoking on the job. At least with drink you can't really do it at work and get away with it...

My labourer is a stoner and he's awesome. Obviously got a memory like a sieve but that aside, on the ball, works very hard, good attitude and zero hassle. Stinks of ganja first think in the morning lol.

Only quibble is the forgetfulnesses. 10 times I've told him to leave batteries in drills and drivers only and leave their bits in place but everything else gets de batteried and put into the recharge battery bag. You can't have it all. 

I'm neither. Been there got the t shirt, video, computer game and tattoo. Was a total spanner when stoned also. Good for **ck all. 

These days I limit myself to an absolute max of a 1/3 of a bottle of southern comfort or 2/3 of a bottle of port on a school night. That's about the worst I get, thank god. Things I did in the past are unimaginable to me now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

i wasn't academically inclined and in the school careers advice department two suggestions were made. Farming or forestry.

I knew farming paid bugger all so forestry it was.

Shortly afterwards school decided they didn't want me anymore and I was sent packing at 15 and abit

• Like 1