travellers

westphalian

2 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

It's not so much the provision of temporary sites that troubles me - fair do's - it's the cost of establishing them.  Now that is entirely down to the wasteful squanderlust of LA's when it comes to public money - example:

Extract from link below. "...Work is due to begin this week on the second phase of Cornwall’s first transit stopping site for Gypsies and Travellers at South Treviddo near Liskeard.

Pitches will be provided to accommodate up to 15 caravans at any one time. The transit site can be used for stays of up to three months in a year..."

https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/council-and-democracy/council-news-room/media-releases/news-from-2018/news-from-december-2018/work-begins-on-planned-extension-of-emergency-stopping-place-for-gypsies-and-travellers/

The extension to allow up to 15 caravans is costed at £1.75 million!  Bit of ground works, some foul services, bit of tarmac.  How in the hell is that £1.75 million well spent tax payers money?

By all means provide the land but why not allow those that wish to use it to build it themselves at a time when the LA is supposedly so hard up for cash?

This is by no means a criticism of the 'need' to provide safe and reasonable spaces as a responsibility of a caring society, it is however a wide eyed incredulous disbelief at the amount of money this LA is prepared to pay for something that by all reasonable measure should be a fraction of that cost. 

(and just for balance, it's not a view that is applied to 1 particular social group, I also believe the LA should be providing the land for private first time homeowners to self build.  The so called affordable housing schemes associated with developer led housing is a total misnomer and is a system that is failing many)

The wasted money to create new sites.... yam preaching to the converted.

The sites were there, and most of them were run (for the council) by one local family who lived there year round. When travellers pulled on they paid there bit of rent, electric was on card meters, skips were on site for rubbish, before you get a dose of the Johnson's I'm not saying that would stop them fly tipping Mrs Miggins hedge trimmings but they had somewhere to pull, usually out of the way of 'decent' folk. Around here they've nowhere to pull so they invade the local council carparks or industrial estates. Don't make sense to me.

8 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

The wasted money to create new sites.... yam preaching to the converted.

The sites were there, and most of them were run (for the council) by one local family who lived there year round. When travellers pulled on they paid there bit of rent, electric was on card meters, skips were on site for rubbish, before you get a dose of the Johnson's I'm not saying that would stop them fly tipping Mrs Miggins hedge trimmings but they had somewhere to pull, usually out of the way of 'decent' folk. Around here they've nowhere to pull so they invade the local council carparks or industrial estates. Don't make sense to me.

Weme could of done the work betwix us and lived quite happily off the 60/40 split of the tut Mr ?. Obviously I’d have to have the 60 otherwise you’d have nothing to moan about ?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Weme could of done the work betwix us and lived quite happily off the 60/40 split of the tut Mr ?. Obviously I’d have to have the 60 otherwise you’d have nothing to moan about ?

If we had a 60/40 split in your favour you'd still have something to moan about. Teapot, kettle, and black arse spring to mind.

• Haha 2

Yes Scotland has different laws and so does Eire but they have much lower population densities and that is reflected in being able to tolerate such things.

Lest you think I have any racial bias against travellers I could post a picture of my wife's grandmother that surprised me as she appeared to be from a white middle class family , father a self made businessman and pillar of the tory council and apart from his tan and curly black hair who would have known...
Interesting stuff, thanks for posting

Good and bad in all.
In general most of the travellers/gypsy's I have traded with have been some of my most honest customers.
One off the family members @eggsarascal was on about helped me when I started up on my own, even though it was in the same business as him, whilst every one else was pretty upset about another competitor.
That particular member of the family is genuinely the hardest working man I have ever had the pleasure to meet.

• Like 1