travellers

westphalian

8 minutes ago, westphalian said:

they do EXACTLY  the same scams to our local pubs around Appleby Horse Fair time

I went to Appleby about 20 years ago with a few gypsies, they won't go any more. Why the pubs and shops don't put up the shutters while the horse fair is on is beyond me, it might inconvenience the locals for the duration, but I wouldn't suffer it if I had a pub/shop there.

Serious question Eggs as you have lived with them.

Percentage of gypsies that are socially responsible and those that are not. Ditty for travellers.

Would imagine travellers have higher ratio of bad ens

For comparison the Independent quotes figures saying 1 in 4 of the general UK population has a criminal record which I find very hard to believe

8 minutes ago, westphalian said:

Serious question Eggs as you have lived with them.

Percentage of gypsies that are socially responsible and those that are not. Ditty for travellers.

Would imagine travellers have higher ratio of bad ens

For comparison the Independent quotes figures saying 1 in 4 of the general UK population has a criminal record which I find very hard to believe

I guess the first question is: what is socially responsible. My next door but one neighbour is a gypsie, his family live over the road, mother, farther, sister, brother in law, uncle, nephews and nieces, ya get the picture. They've never done me any harm, and I've always been welcomed when there are big gatherings where most gorger's wouldn't be. Is he socially responsible?, I'd guess so, he employs 15-20 local lads, none of them are gypsies, and many of them have been with him for years. @scraggs, of this parish knows the family. Now, I might not like how they treat each other, or should I say talk to each other at times, but they all seem to pull in the same direction when it's needed. I've never had a problem with gypsies. Travellers, (I'm not talking about hippies, new age) are a different breed, I wouldn't trust most of them where I couldn't see them, there are exceptions. The vast majority of gypsies won't have anything to do with travellers. 

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

I guess the first question is: what is socially responsible. My next door but one neighbour is a gypsie, his family live over the road, mother, farther, sister, brother in law, uncle, nephews and nieces, ya get the picture. They've never done me any harm, and I've always been welcomed when there are big gatherings where most gorger's wouldn't be. Is he socially responsible?, I'd guess so, he employs 15-20 local lads, none of them are gypsies, and many of them have been with him for years. @scraggs, of this parish knows the family. Now, I might not like how they treat each other, or should I say talk to each other at times, but they all seem to pull in the same direction when it's needed. I've never had a problem with gypsies. Travellers, (I'm not talking about hippies, new age) are a different breed, I wouldn't trust most of them where I couldn't see them, there are exceptions. The vast majority of gypsies won't have anything to do with travellers. 

spot on , gypsies and  travellers are worlds apart

• Like 1

We are 40 miles away from Appleby and they arrive here a good month before the fair starts. They use heavy gear to remove bollards, posts and similar obstructions to enable them to camp on village greens grass verges, private fields etc
Worth noting that parish councils often ( illegally) bollard off common land that you have a right to camp on with a horse and have been used as that for hundreds of years because they like it neat and tidy, prim little village greens etc. Quite interesting actually the steady erosion of common land/unowned land

Having travelled a fair bit with my family with a horse and wagon, you wouldn't believe what utter cocks are out there. However, we have also met alot of total belters, so not all bad.

Now I'm not excusing any wrong uns from the travelling community, but feeling the force of others prejudice definitely does something funny to your head, myself I get pretty sick of it pretty quick and gets me in a foul temper.

But yes, I'm led to believe Appleby has changed unrecognisably over the years, not made it over there myself yet.
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, billpierce said:

Worth noting that parish councils often ( illegally) bollard off common land that you have a right to camp on with a horse

Which commons would those be?  Most commons with public access are are covered by the law of property act, latterly others by CRoW, both of which  say ban vehicles.

As mr prentice one remarked, I am a liberal. I detest intolerance. I had always lived in the city and gypsies/travellers were well under my radar until 25 years ago when I moved to my present location which has a large gypsy AND traveller community. Didn’t take long to change my mind towards them being victim to their thieving (caravan) vandalism and general anti social behaviour.

I didn’t feel I needed to qualify ‘social responsibility ‘. There are always good and bad in every community. I was guessing 20-30% would be your answer.

Completely taking over a village green with caravans, horse boxes, white vans, litter big bonfires and general anti social behaviour is a far cry from a horse and wagon.

I’ve always understood that their anti social behaviour stemmed from them being apart from general society, loss of employment and change to way of living from the mechanisation of agriculture. A viscous circle of behaviour due to being excluded from general society and ensuring they always are

In my experience most cliches are true and most reputations are earned.

We are all bigoted to some degree or other. The groups at the bottom of my list of “must get to know sometime” are religious zealots and all those that choose to have no regard for others rights.

Edited by westphalian
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1