travellers

westphalian

This made me chuckle, if I turned up in a smart shirt, trousers and polished shoes I'd probably get the job before Gobby would?   What would you think when I sent Gobby round to do the work, because I'm only the bloke that does the quoting?

This is how the thieving side of the travelling community work. Have a well presented "front man", then send in a bunch of near do wells to rip you off.

Seems common practice with gorgers as well. Got a roofer round once. impressed me with his experience and knowledge. Got the job. Never saw him again. He sent round some 16 year old to do the job

Eggs... Gobby is not a ner do well. Don’t cast nasturtiums

The thread title is "travellers", what's it matter where they come from?  

I've met some English Roma that I wouldn't trust to tell me if it was raining outside, I would need to check for myself, I've also got some good friends that are English Roma.

It seems like, (I've used myself as an example) "Egg is an ok guy", until we realised he didn't always live in bricks, now we know, don't tell him feck all or he'll be round to pinch ya tools n shag ya missus.

Judge people on their actions, not on what they are.

Keep yer fecking hands off my tools, my missus......

Am I the only one that had to look up “itinerant “?

Just yesterday I had an excellent experience with a gentleman with an Irish accent driving an old white transit. Got a real bargain on a brand new mattress.

Smelled a bit of piss but apparently that is the smell of the foam yet to disperse. They are not all bad.

• Haha 1

I wasn’t going to comment any more but , we all wish that wrong uns didn’t exist but they do in all walks of life but if we start saying he’s a traveller or Buddhist they must be hounded given no work where does this kind of thinking get us bloody Natzi Germany , if you is a good egg old chap what the F##K does it matter if you have a blue mo hawk or short hair and a beer belly , Live and let Live , the American settlers decimated the Indians just because they didn’t or wouldn’t understand them , Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee is one of the Best and sadist books I have ever read , why can’t we all just help each other to get on Life is just too F###ing short

• Like 7

I wasn’t going to comment any more but , we all wish that wrong uns didn’t exist but they do in all walks of life but if we start saying he’s a traveller or Buddhist they must be hounded given no work where does this kind of thinking get us bloody Natzi Germany , if you is a good egg old chap what the F##K does it matter if you have a blue mo hawk or short hair and a beer belly , Live and let Live , the American settlers decimated the Indians just because they didn’t or wouldn’t understand them , Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee is one of the Best and sadist books I have ever read , why can’t we all just help each other to get on Life is just too F###ing short

True, but most people will always judge a book by its cover, coming from an eco warrior/new age traveller background myself I know full well if I still had a face full of piercings,dreads and a stripy jumper with holes in I wouldnt get 20% of the jobs I quote. Sad but true. Plus facial piercings and dead leyllandi twigs don’t mix well.
  • Like 3

FFS!

Eggs,

Ah were trying to make the point about "labels" or "pigeonholing" when I mentioned our traveller/itinerient worker  experience in France.

BUT

Unfortunately, as I also attempted to point out as well, "our" Irish Travellers are def. bad-uns, to a man, woman and child(perhaps excepting the under 5's)

There are also many ephemeral tradesmen, or women, who travel to be where the work is, and temporarily reside, in vans, or caravans, or motels, who definately do not fit the generic disparaging traveller description.

Like Wot the steelfixer guy wuz, who worked for a very reputable local firm, fitting reinforcing steelwork to silo pits.

"E" turned up in a Father Ted type caravan, worked, ate, drank  and slept, pocketed a very respectable payment, and pissed off to the next job.

"E" ud probably ave gubbed one if "E" was  addressed as a "traveller".

"E" also had the unfettered run of our farm place, where he parked up, without any hesitation on my families part.

Descrimination, or simple judgement, can be a positive thing ye see.

marcus

Edited by difflock
  • Like 1

I quiet like new age traveller fashion thoose  stripey woolen jumpers dredds & the ones that look like mad max extras & the lurcher on  a string.

Kind of wondering if the "movement" is gradually dying out now as see less around, though there is a local encampment of about 10 vans they have  being in the same layby for the last 5yrs.

Edited by Stere

I got at least 2 groups of New age type Travellers that live near to my abode,  they were living in this area before i turned up.  Both groups are associated with wood / timber; 1 is a chainsaw carver, new age type chap with great skills (and a noice lookin missus so keep away from here Eggs!) he seems sound as a pound (he's a mate of yours  @john p ) 

The udder group are more Hippy like and live deep down in the woods, they have a share in a forestry forwarding machine and one chap in particular is a very clued up Forester and has worked i think in Norway.  They also make eco friendly loos for Glastonbury Festival,  again they are fine and i see them up the pub quite a bit.

I know of at least 2 English Roma families that live in the same area and they are generally aok (apart from 1 or 2 family members)  They seem to feel the 'new age / hippy lot' are taking the pish by claiming 'travellers rights' etc and i often here them referring to them as 'pseudo or wannabe Gypsys'.  When i moved into the area they all incorrectly assumed i was an Irish Traveller/Tinker and treated me with a degree of friendly suspicion! Generally speaking everyone rubs along just fine.  Someone made mention several comments back about the Irish travellers being the worst,  i tend to agree as they can be pure, nasty assed trouble.

I have met and worked with quite a few tree surgeons who travel about the UK in a van and stop in an area for while, work and earn a bit then move on again.  I don't see them as 'travellers or gypsies'.

• Like 2