Tree roots and water pipe

woody paul

10 minutes ago, woody paul said:

Not dig anything yet as my uncle be busy with harvest, but thinking new pipe and it will be finished with.

Khiss, was thinking more of between two roots and then getting squashed not root and soil.

Make sure to get some pictures of the old pipe.

• Like 1

I have found and seen plenty of pvc , poly and copper  pipes crushed flat in and under stumps while stump grinding so it is perfectly possible to crush a pipe over time. Biggest culprit up here is the African Mahogany a very fast growing tree in the tropics.Palms are very good at flattening pvc too

Plenty of concrete slabs and parts of houses have been jacked up by the wrong tree in the wrong place in the area i live in.

Back in the UK in the 80's i worked at this farm in Surrey where the water pressure got so bad that an exploratory dig found a 3/4 steel (or lead pipe cant remember ) corroded down to roughly half its size We ended up digging a trench 500 metres back to the water main on the road and putting in a big blue plastic pipe with all the joins  welded together.

Once it was hooked back up nearly all the taps in the place leaked 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kimtree said:

I have found and seen plenty of pvc , poly and copper  pipes crushed flat in and under stumps while stump grinding so it is perfectly possible to crush a pipe over time. Biggest culprit up here is the African Mahogany a very fast growing tree in the tropics.Palms are very good at flattening pvc too

Plenty of concrete slabs and parts of houses have been jacked up by the wrong tree in the wrong place in the area i live in.

Back in the UK in the 80's i worked at this farm in Surrey where the water pressure got so bad that an exploratory dig found a 3/4 steel (or lead pipe cant remember ) corroded down to roughly half its size We ended up digging a trench 500 metres back to the water main on the road and putting in a big blue plastic pipe with all the joins  welded together.

Once it was hooked back up nearly all the taps in the place leaked 

A water pipe can't be crushed by tree roots... water can't be compressed, that's a given. The fact is the OP said he'd found leaks on the supply beforehand. Once the pressure reduces its possible for the pipe to get crushed. But what would I know?

1 minute ago, eggsarascal said:

A water pipe can't be crushed by tree roots... water can't be compressed, that's a given. The fact is the OP said he'd found leaks on the supply beforehand. Once the pressure reduces its possible for the pipe to get crushed. But what would I know?

Water cant be compressed is correct like when it gets into a diesel engine. But in a pipe its a different story. The pressure being applied by the tree or roots would be greater than water pressure within the pipe (pipe materials could have a bearing on this). Also as mentioned by another poster the outlets would have been  turned on and off thousands of times during its lifetime allowing the pipes to be compressed.

So unless the pipe is made from "unsquash" able materials  then it is entirely possible for a pipe with water in it to be squashed by tree roots and all the ones i have seen have not been an illusion.

I haven't got any pictures to prove it but will take some next time i find them with the stumpy

1 minute ago, kimtree said:

Water cant be compressed is correct like when it gets into a diesel engine. But in a pipe its a different story. The pressure being applied by the tree or roots would be greater than water pressure within the pipe (pipe materials could have a bearing on this). Also as mentioned by another poster the outlets would have been  turned on and off thousands of times during its lifetime allowing the pipes to be compressed.

So unless the pipe is made from "unsquash" able materials  then it is entirely possible for a pipe with water in it to be squashed by tree roots and all the ones i have seen have not been an illusion.

I haven't got any pictures to prove it but will take some next time i find them with the stumpy

I was agreeing with you Kim all be it in a sarcastic manner.