Climbing conditioning.

Lust4life

12 minutes ago, Lust4life said:

Is it just lack of conditioning??

More lack of the best gear I'd say - a zigzag instead of the prussik, then a pulleysaver or ART ropeguide type cambium saver and if you don't already a good foot ascender e.g CT. I'm asthmatic and even I can haul myself up with that lot - prussiking or Blakes I would be puffed out. If it's a big tree a foot ascender makes all the difference.

• Like 2

Not sure what arm pump is exactly but...

I’m guessing you’re inefficient in your movement.

First buy a ladder.

Then a couple of questions, are you completely free from the tree or alongside the trunk? Because it’s a lot easier if you have your feet on the trunk as you go up.

Did you learn to thrust at college? Usually it takes a while to perfect it and often they’re not too fussed getting you any good before sending you out into the world like that, just that you can do it in theory.

Thickness of rope can be an issue, modern thinner stretchy ropes are not conducive to the old fashioned methods.

• Like 2

i would say its probably say its down to conditioning and technique but i would definitely look into a more efficient climbing system such as a VT knot and pulley and also a foot assecnder, nothing wrong with making life easier, despite what all the old timers say!! ( with their buggered up bodies!!! ;).  

plenty of info on here and youtube but probably better to be shown in person if possible.

carl 

I used to be a pretty good rock climber until a medical condition forced me to quit (morbid obesity I think the quack said). Can’t comment on your technique but when I started rock climbing my forearms were pumped doing a baby route as those muscles aren’t really used a lot. I think it will settle once you get into it. Try spinach. Works for Popeye

• Like 1

If the problems in the forearms, it may be down to the 'death-grip' on the rope. Have you tried climbing with gloves or without gloves? Thicker ropes, if you're using smaller diameter, etc. 

Realistically, if you're ascending with your feet against the stem you probably shouldn't be getting that much strain in the forearms, unless you're overdoing your grip. Some of the issue might be technique - which will come, and/or lack of acquired strength which will come in time as well. I'd hazard a guess that you're gripping the rope for dear life and causing some of the problem yourself.