Milling

Mike Black

You can get rid of sticker stains on sycamore with A&B bleach but much better to avoid it in the first place as Andrew says with vertical racking until the free water has gone then stack and sticker as normal.

As sycamore is really a maple it makes brilliant work tops etc. but otherwise great for furniture. If you are lucky you may get a bit of ripple grain. Strong and hard so makes a great family table that will stand up to being more than a posh dining table. Maybe add a very light stain just to bring out the grain.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, westphalian said:

cheers, what's that mean "who the cow?" the branches are off and I will be felling it next week

Tail of the cow, it's the way the stain looks sh*tty as it runs up the end grain, phrase was taught to me by the veneer buyer I used to fell for

Edited by openspaceman

3 hours ago, ucoulddoit said:

Not sure about 'who the cow' but sycamore is very easily stained during the early stages of drying and the usual approach is to stand the boards upright (end reared) with gaps between them and a sticker at the top to keep them apart. Once the board faces have dried, it's safe to stack and sticker them as normal. Winter felled and milled while the sap is low is best if you can. Based on my limited experience of seasoning a few sycamore logs the planks have a low tendency to distortion compared to other timbers such as oak.

Andrew

There seem to be a preponderance of we Andrews on this forum

This is much as I was saying, not only is there less sugar in the sap in winter there is also less sap so whilst you want to dry the wood as quickly as possible you want to do it  at a rate that the moisture is moving out of the wood to the surface, in summer this happens too fast in the absence of humidity control.