Professionally designed & SEO'd website

wjotner

So is it worth forking out to get a professional re-design and SEO my website?

I'm looking to bring in more work. Currently running at 1 or 2 days a week max (even less in slow periods). I'm having to rely on lead producing sites to get a lot of my work, backed up by the odd job coming through a trade mag I advertise in (though not for long, not getting much interest from it) and some return customers. But I've only been running my own business about 1 and half years and want to find a cost effective way bring in more interest. 

Do you think a really good website is the way forward? Or, with a lot of domestic customers being of the older generation, are trade and local magazines more effective?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, wjotner said:

Do you think a really good website is the way forward? Or, with a lot of domestic customers being of the older generation, are trade and local magazines more effective?

i think you need a bit of everything.  But yes your website is important, its basically your shop window, the most effort you put into it the more likely you are to get custom.

Drop me a pm if you want a quote etc

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, wjotner said:

So is it worth forking out to get a professional re-design and SEO my website?

I'm looking to bring in more work. Currently running at 1 or 2 days a week max (even less in slow periods). I'm having to rely on lead producing sites to get a lot of my work, backed up by the odd job coming through a trade mag I advertise in (though not for long, not getting much interest from it) and some return customers. But I've only been running my own business about 1 and half years and want to find a cost effective way bring in more interest. 

Some interesting points.

I have always eschewed too much focus on websites, google rankings and all that jazz as     modern fancy dan nonsense. I have a website from 15 years ago which is very dated but gets people to me if they look.

Problem is the older sorts, who use local rags etc. Are dying or ceasing to eat solid food and hang on till they reach a toilet to let go, this means they don’t spend money as freely as spare income is taken up on expenses involved in boiling cabbage and prune consumption.

As has been mentioned spread the budget, and ask how they found you. (Which I almost never do)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Steve Bullman has done an excellent job on my website, I’ve had a noticeable increase in enquiries. There’s a lot of competition out there, and a really pro site can make you stand out from the rest. But nothing will ever beat word of mouth.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, john p said:

Steve Bullman has done an excellent job on my website, I’ve had a noticeable increase in enquiries. There’s a lot of competition out there, and a really pro site can make you stand out from the rest. But nothing will ever beat word of mouth.

Can you share your website for a butcher's please?

I also think to a degree your type of advertising reflects in the business it draws.

The parish mag is unlikely to draw the same type of work as an ad in  Construction News.

Certain papers/pamphlets round here only attract the 20 quotes for a £150 job brigade, cheapest quote wins.

The days of the old fogeys with loads of money but no computer are coming to an end, as Mick said.

Word of mouth is best, but you need to work for some mouths first!

You need a web presence these days, however small.

Mine is incredibly dated, I’ll be getting Steve to rework it this year (it’s not one of his).

• Like 1