Going to view a 2006 Ford Ranger

Mark Wileman

I'm off to view an 06 Ranger later, just reading up on all the rust issues!

Anyone had one with problems that cam advise me where to look for rust? Obviously going to check all the chassis I can see from the arches/suspension mounts etc...

This truck only has 70k on her and has been dealer maintained, so maybe she'll be all right!

Friend of mine been to look at a few, obvious places you can see through wheel arches etc on chassis, look under front bumper upwards towards front member they’re prone for rotting there, inner wings / and front leg attachment areas, under rear bumper upwards towards rear body and rear member, and any fixed areas of body to chassis. Check under back sides of sills too along the whole length, some suffer and some don’t.
Shame really that more care isn’t taken at build / factory when knocking them out, a good waxoyle would av prevented a lot of them becoming extinct so early cos engines arent really that bad.
You tried the Mazda BT variant? Virtually the same motor but Mazdas dont seem to suffer the rot just as much ?‍♂️

My first one was on a 05 plate and was very rusted underneath. A good jetwash and a spray of waxoyl saw me through 3 MOT's with no problem. It had 175K on the clock and the engine was perfect. I drove it into the back of a huge truck whilst towing a heavy quad bike and trailer and that was the end of that one!

My new one is 6 months older with only 115k on the clock. Again, very rusty underneath and needs some underseal.

Great trucks which are reliable and cheap to buy and run in comparison to the likes of a Hilux, but the under body rust is a concern.

Thanks guys, I checked it out and then got a second opinion from my mechanic. Underneath is solid, she's been well looked after so it seems!

I'm now the proud owner of a 2006 single cab, 78,000 on the clock and she drives like a dream :)

Going to take my time doing her up and adding a few bits and bobs, firstly trying to figure out how to remove the bed... it isn't screwed down like YouTube is telling me!

• Like 1

6 bolts holding the bed on, only problem i had taking the bed off mine was the bloody ring around the fuel filler neck by the cap, give the bolts a squirt of wd a week before , should come off ok, 3 guys will lift it off with no problem