customer wont pay

Guest spiderman

11 hours ago, Guest spiderman said:

original price was £140 to cut a small conifer to a 2 foot stump. simple enough, close to a fence, strip (cut and drop) branches to about 10 foot then gob and drop from base. whole tree was maybe 14 foot. usual brown conifer 'leafy-shit' everywhere. maybe 2 hours total work.
second tree 20 odd foot eucalyptus, in decked corner area, serious lean to next garden over shed, from ladder branches all roped and cut under control, 2 log sections roped and last 2 trunk sections cut and hold to shoulder/waist. stump left at about 2 foot as requested by customer.

additional 90 mins work to total job. doubled the load to be recycled.

total recycling cost £18 (plus fuel and time, etc)

ya cant look at a 20 foot tree and think its gonna cost half the price of a 14 foot conifer, just 'because you were there already'

or am I wrong?

Absolutely not ! Oh yea- a free wall socket against a 20 foot Eucalyptus ! He is havin a laff- bill him , Danno ! K

2 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

Ok, Yesterday I was working in St Ives, Cambridgeshire, on the way to that job I got called by another customer for an emergency job in Cambridge City, so on my way home. Should I have charged the travel from St Ives to Cambridge or from my base? I charged from my base, did I rob the second customer for too much travel?, possibly. That said how would I justify the extra cost for travel if it was a stand alone job?

your talking 2 different jobs in 2 different locations for 2 different customers yes you should charge travel from base , i would, but not if i am all ready there and if it was additional work on the day it would be £45 per hour as more than likely every thing we would need to do the additional work would be on site and set up ready to go. last time i was asked to do additional work on a job we was taking a ash down and customer asked about 2 fruit trees both past there best but only 10"-12" dia so not big quoted her £30 a tree job done in about 50 mins and a happy customer, from this been back to hers got another job of her brother and just got a 2k job of her daughter, so with not being greedy has lead to about 7 days additional work.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Guest spiderman said:

you employ a professional and you accept the bill at the end of the job.

you cant expect a 20 foot tree to cost less than half the price of a 14 foot tree. everyone else seems to agree on this point.

this being the main basis of my post.

I think the problem here is that you don't seem to accept that you were mistaken not to have text your client with a price for the second tree.

A few seconds would have removed any dispute.

• Like 4

I'm sure under the consumer act, a client has to have 24hrs between quote given and accepting it. Otherwise in court client will say "pressured into accepting" then the court will rule in favour of client automatically.
Tread carefully
[emoji51]

I'm sure under the consumer act, a client has to have 24hrs between quote given and accepting it. Otherwise in court client will say "pressured into accepting" then the court will rule in favour of client automatically.
Tread carefully
[emoji51]

Sort of. If I remember right the customer can waive this right if they want to. Presumably by signing something though?

Guest spiderman
11 hours ago, Joe Newton said:

I think the problem here is that you don't seem to accept that you were mistaken not to have text your client with a price for the second tree.

A few seconds would have removed any dispute.

ah but no, I accept I dropped the ball and should have given at least a vague figure before cutting.

my original request was asking what do I do now that I have dropped the ball, besides accept much less than is a fair price for a tree, or tipping an appropriate amount of branches on his front path.

someone along the way has suggested I was stitched up from the start which I agree with.

all lessons are learnt. but only some are remembered.

One thing in businessI have learnt never give a day rate,price a job and any extras are priced separately.A friend of mine pruned a tree on a day rate customer agreed then knocked him when he finished an hour early as he worked till five,in the end as it was a rare tree he asked the local tree officer to put a tpo on it and got it.

Edited by Watercourse management
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Watercourse management said:

One thing in business I have learnt never give a day rate,price a job and any extras are priced separately.A friend of mine pruned a tree on a day rate customer agreed then knocked him when he finished an hour early as he worked till five,in the end as it was a rare tree he asked the local tree officer to put a tpo on it and got it.

Ditto to the above. Don't give a day rate price it's the worst thing to do (generally speaking)