customer wont pay

Guest spiderman

Guest spiderman

I suspect I agree with skyhuck about being played from the start.

original price for conifer was 140

asking price for second tree was 140 also, it being a similar size, slightly larger and needing ropework.

other people I know have agreed should be at least 100 added for second tree.

the guy is being a dick trying to make out I don't have costs for materials and he all but says my qualifications and skill level don't matter, but did say I shouldn't be taking into account cost of work vehicle, vehicle insurance, work insurance, road tax, cost of chainsaws, chains, maintenance, rope, harness, ppe. etc, etc.

hes begrudging paying 200 total for the work.

I think ive just got to stand there and argue with him and take as much as I can get. then kick him in the balls and run.

2 hours ago, Guest spiderman said:

anyone got and non-malicious suggestions or advice on a customer who is disputing the cost of cutting a tree and basically refusing to pay the cost?

I viewed and quoted to cut a small conifer to a stump, then while on-site (him not at home) he asked me to cut a second tree (eucalyptus, of similar size) to a stump as well.

he is now disputing the amount ive asked for the second tree.

in hindsight I accept I should have told him the price before cutting the tree, but at the time it seemed a given that the cost would be accepted.

hes trying to tell me he would have cut it himself if he had known I wasn't doing it for next-to-nothing. him being an electrician by trade and gives me the argument if a customer asks him to put in another socket he will do it for free, but in relative terms this is a customer asking him to re-wire a second room not put in a new wall socket.

hes disputing every step of the second price, saying I have no materials to cover and shouldn't be including costing for vehicle and working insurance, tool maintenance, etc for each specific job.

basically he is offering about 1/3 of the cost I asked for the tree, and saying I'm trying to rip him off, claiming the tree wasn't that big. alas now gone and recycled.

any comments?

Can I ask how big was the eucalyptus.? And how much did you ask for?was it a return trip or were you already on site with all your gear?oopps sorry just seen cost’s etc..if as you say he is an electrician and may be self employed he will know how to play the game,take what he is prepared to pay before you get fuck all,walk away and put it on the exspierance locker and learn from it,Gurentee you won’t make the same mistake ever again.we have all been there and done exactly the same thing.

Edited by 5 shires
Wanted to add more wording

35 minutes ago, Guest spiderman said:

I suspect I agree with skyhuck about being played from the start.

original price for conifer was 140

asking price for second tree was 140 also, it being a similar size, slightly larger and needing ropework.

other people I know have agreed should be at least 100 added for second tree.

the guy is being a dick trying to make out I don't have costs for materials and he all but says my qualifications and skill level don't matter, but did say I shouldn't be taking into account cost of work vehicle, vehicle insurance, work insurance, road tax, cost of chainsaws, chains, maintenance, rope, harness, ppe. etc, etc.

hes begrudging paying 200 total for the work.

I think ive just got to stand there and argue with him and take as much as I can get. then kick him in the balls and run.

That conifer you chopped down, if he had ten of em in his garden would you price it at 1400 to remove em all?...

I'm guessing you wouldn't..  

why not, think about it then think why charging 140 for the next one you did might come across as excessive to your customer..

If you got 140 for the first one, you should of asked 70 to 80 for the second seeing as you're there on the job...

and why didn't you mention a price to the fella?..  to busy counting your days profits when a few words on the phone might of saved you a lot of shit...

53 minutes ago, woody paul said:

You should of quoted the extra cost before starting extra  work.

The problem is we can not put them back up 

Agreed, I still can’t help thinking I’d explain very politely, that “whilst we arnt going to be able to agree on the tree/cost in question, I won’t therefore be able to cover the cost of waste removal and im sure you can appreciate I will return the waste for your disposal, thanks for your ‘buisness’”!