Kohler

Stefan Palokangas

While on the topic of draining oil and the possibility of stripping threads.
Try using a vacuum pump and sucking the oil up through the dipstick tube. No possibility of stripping a thread, oil removed from lowest level of sump, plus you can suck any oil from a filter bowl if the filter is removed from an upright position.
No need to crawl about underneath either[emoji1303]

11 minutes ago, Baldbloke said:

While on the topic of draining oil and the possibility of stripping threads.
Try using a vacuum pump and sucking the oil up through the dipstick tube. No possibility of stripping a thread, oil removed from lowest level of sump, plus you can suck any oil from a filter bowl if the filter is removed from an upright position.
No need to crawl about underneath eitheremoji1303.png

Whilst I have used a vacuum pump recently to remove 70+ litres of hydraulic oil from a digger I’m not sure I would want to do the same with an engine, if an engine is drained when the oils still pretty warm I think you’d have more chance of getting g the most oil drained using conventional sump drain- gravity would mean the warm oil would drain to the sump off all components whereas I’d worry I wouldn’t have got it all out with a pump.

Whilst I have used a vacuum pump recently to remove 70+ litres of hydraulic oil from a digger I’m not sure I would want to do the same with an engine, if an engine is drained when the oils still pretty warm I think you’d have more chance of getting g the most oil drained using conventional sump drain- gravity would mean the warm oil would drain to the sump off all components whereas I’d worry I wouldn’t have got it all out with a pump.

I used to believe that too.
However,if you look at the positioning of a sump plug you will find that the female threaded section is actually higher (by necessity) than the lowest section of the sump pan whereas the dipstick tube allows access to the lowest part of the sump pan.
I do 12 of my vehicles/mowers/digger this way and the only one I can’t is a Porsche.
I suggest you try your usual method by draining your oil through the plug and then drop the sump if you are in any doubt. You will find up to half an inch of oil even after thinking you have emptied it. Better still, drain it through the plug, and then see if the vacuum can empty yet more out. [emoji3]

I’ll try it next time-  your likely right as long as you know where the tube is sucking from, my one has a length of tube but the memory of the original coil in the plastic makes it quite hard to target a particular low spot. I know when i did the hydraulic tank recently  more came out when I undid the drain plug.

3 hours ago, Stefan Palokangas said:

This one the size it is I will keep forever, very good for back gardens and tight areas. I will fix and refurbish it. A new grinder will be a bigger and a smaller one.

Fine but you can use a smaller grinder for a week or so whilst you go through your grinder that you have now. It seems pointless buying extras as you’ll still have down time swapping things about. 

With that hat efficiency I have saved you some serious time that you can now spend with a) your mrs or b) another stump ?

Fine but you can use a smaller grinder for a week or so whilst you go through your grinder that you have now. It seems pointless buying extras as you’ll still have down time swapping things about. 

With that hat efficiency I have saved you some serious time that you can now spend with a) your mrs or b) another stump [emoji23]

Indeed need a hand held machine, need to demo one, I see predator got a very small one and a 460 model. Both of them would be handy. And the predator 75. Could afford the smaller ones but not the biggest. Unless I borrow money

It’s hard to say when time is to expand.

11 hours ago, Stefan Palokangas said:

Indeed need a hand held machine, need to demo one, I see predator got a very small one and a 460 model. Both of them would be handy. And the predator 75. Could afford the smaller ones but not the biggest. Unless I borrow money

It’s hard to say when time is to expand.

If you can afford a smaller one without borrowing then go smaller first mate. You can get buy with a smaller one whenever your big one is having maintenance/down time but equally it can get in the narrower gaps. Then in a few years go bigger and I’m sure with your ethic you won’t need to borrow then either.