A Very Lucky Guy

Haironyourchest

(Skip to 1:30 for the start of the story) I occasionally tune in to this guy's youtube channel. He recently nearly met his maker as a result of a top splitting inside his wire core lanyard, crushing him against the tree. Had to cut the lanyard with his chainsaw...Just thought I'd throw it out there. I advised him to buy the Fundamentals and read it.

Edited by Haironyourchest

All I'm hearing are excuses, he does seem to accept responsibility for his own lack of skill or at least major cock up. The fact he does not appear to know what went wrong is pretty worrying.

"Go high cut small" would always be my advice. Cutting big is great, IF you have the experience to do it safely.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, skyhuck said:

All I'm hearing are excuses, he does seem to accept responsibility for his own lack of skill or at least major cock up. The fact he does not appear to know what went wrong is pretty worrying.

"Go high cut small" would always be my advice. Cutting big is great, IF you have the experience to do it safely.

Yeah, I didn't have the heart to lay into him on the YouTube comments thread. The thing that worries me is there are several YouTube guys who work as arborists in the states who clearly have unsafe and lazy work practices, and also have quite a sizable following of adoring fans. Confessing to mistakes is great, but the rest of the time they display rampant one handing mostly, grab&cut stuff, and their followers leave comments like "OMG your amazing!!1! I'm learning so much from your vids1!!1".....kind of makes me worried for the young copycats.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

Yeah, I didn't have the heart to lay into him on the YouTube comments thread. The thing that worries me is there are several YouTube guys who work as arborists in the states who clearly have unsafe and lazy work practices, and also have quite a sizable following of adoring fans. Confessing to mistakes is great, but the rest of the time they display rampant one handing mostly, grab&cut stuff, and their followers leave comments like "OMG your amazing!!1! I'm learning so much from your vids1!!1".....kind of makes me worried for the young copycats.

Yes, there seems to be an attitude that this game is dangerous and its just about have the balls to accept and take on the danger, when in reality this job can be done very safely, its only when we take short cuts or get a bit cocky that things get hairy.

I've had a couple of pretty nasty accidents, but on both occasions it was 100% my fault and I could have done things differently and gone home without a scratch.

• Like 2