Large processor needed

Lancer

Hopefully someone can help us out here. I am looking to hire in a larger processor to cut some over sized wood. We run a couple of tajfun 400 processors which are managing upto 40cm diameter. Currently all slightly larger wood (40-50cm) we are stacking  out the way but the pile is steadily growing. I would estimate it's 150-200 tonnes total. All nice and straight. would just be a man and processor needed we can provide tractor and digger for loading deck.  Alternatively if anyone has a big processor and wants to offer to buy the wood from us that may also work. We are in Northamptonshire. Thanks 

Have you looked at a fuelwood splitta 400, i think fuelwood hire them out, i have exactly the same problem but have found a partial solution currently i ring anything upto 800 diameter split in half and feed through the splitta, the ringing is fairly labour intensive but two guys should just about keep up with the machine, you will be doing a cubic meter bag every 6 mins and the logs will be regular size, iam looking to modify my woodcutta / splitta to be able to handle 600 ish diameter as realistically i don’t have much over that diameter, do you think the manual ringing is an option ? if so then iam sure you will be amazed at how much wood comes off those large rings, we do a days ringing and then feed them through, the machine is automatic and it’s relentless, i would estimate about 5 ton per hour, they feed through flat (split) side down just fine

7 hours ago, woody paul said:

If you have that much timber over size for your processor's up grade 1 of them .

Or if you get lots of good size logs maybe sell them on for milling.  I would offer but I am too far away from you.  Or maybe they are not logs worth milling?

I guess all this talk of large logs being ringed up for firewood makes me wince!

On 23/06/2018 at 07:36, Bustergasket said:

Have you looked at a fuelwood splitta 400, i think fuelwood hire them out, i have exactly the same problem but have found a partial solution currently i ring anything upto 800 diameter split in half and feed through the splitta, the ringing is fairly labour intensive but two guys should just about keep up with the machine, you will be doing a cubic meter bag every 6 mins and the logs will be regular size, iam looking to modify my woodcutta / splitta to be able to handle 600 ish diameter as realistically i don’t have much over that diameter, do you think the manual ringing is an option ? if so then iam sure you will be amazed at how much wood comes off those large rings, we do a days ringing and then feed them through, the machine is automatic and it’s relentless, i would estimate about 5 ton per hour, they feed through flat (split) side down just fine

Thanks for this advice. Manual ringing up will be fine for us. Does the splitta 400 cope ok with hard, dry wood? Some of it has been down 2 years now. 

On 23/06/2018 at 09:13, woody paul said:

If you have that much timber over size for your processor's up grade 1 of them .

Yes we may trade one of these in for a larger machine over the next year or so

It is a superb bit of kit, you can increase the price by adding conveyors and other options, best to give Fuelwood a call, i would have no hesitation if you ever came across a used machine just buy it, although i think people tend to hold onto them, the payback on these bits it’s of kit is from my experience very quick, built like tanks and residual value considerably better that other firewood processors.

Yes we may trade one of these in for a larger machine over the next year or so

It’s very rare i get a refusal, thing is it’s easy to just turn the handle and it resets the machine so it feeds again and splits the next bit, very easy especially when comparing to a refusal in a conventional processor, i have fed allsorts through my older 360 and it’s typical to get two refusals in a morning but we do put anything through (and like i say it’s seconds to reset it), almost just to see what happens, invariably it splits it, when you get a refusal you just get a double size bit out the end so no bother, will see if i can find a real life vid