Turning bowls when green

Woodworks

Got some lumps of ripple sycamore I scavenged from the firewood. I roughed them out into blanks for the father in law but they are getting a green mould forming on them. I am not really a turner but own a lath and have seen blanks turned green and then set aside to dry. Thought I would try this with one to maybe speed drying and avoid the green mould taking over. How close to finished dimensions do you take them and do I now need to re seal the part turned blank? 

I usually turn to 25mm wall thickness which leaves enough to return if the blank warps, with sycamore I turn to finished dimensions and just let nature takes its course as the odd shapes from warping look good especially on a vase shape.

If you want to speed the process use a microwave, plenty of advice on the interwebb but I would just finish turn then sand when dry. If you turn to a few mm thickness it will dry quick.

The green mold will have to be turned away as the staining can go quite deep, hence the finish turn when wet. (wear a rain coat there can be a lot of water when your cutting) but it is easy to cut and get huge streamers on the tool.

• Like 1

Had a play with one but sadly the staining went further in than hoped. Not too bad though unlike my turning. Got the inside reasonable and  now needs sanding but keep having the gouge bite in when working the outside and cant for the life of remember how to avoid this. Only had basic lessons when at school so remind what I should be doing.

IMG_20180619_214237.jpg

IMG_20180619_214247.jpg