Views on pickups

deesideforester

1 hour ago, bigtreedon said:

Very few on the road now ! Is this a joke they are every wear ?

No joke really.  If you look at the numbers otr of my particular variant (a common one) then in the few years since the problem was highlighted the numbers have dropped from just under 4k to 1.7k.

That's just one variant and way above average for vehicles generally.  There'll be another drop as soon as the latest figures are released this month.

• Like 1

Yes mate.  I got mine from Toyota over here and they ordered it with the Hardtop.  If they order and fit it, it is covered by their warranty/guarantee.  It was the same in the UK when I ordered my previous invincible with hardtop / truckman top.

You can get it yourself but if it leaks then you have no comeback.

23 hours ago, deesideforester said:

What pickups are people on here running and what do you all think of them.Also any views on available hardtops are the side doors and roof bars worth getting.I look forward to hearing your views.

I have the new shape Navara and love it.  Big improvement on the older ones in every way.  MPG is great also.

As far as hard tops, im not a fan as I think they spoil the look of the trucks but I was forced into getting one last year.  For overall security and something commercial that doesn't make it look too much like a farmers pick up i'd look no further than the RSI

http://www.upcountry4x4.co.uk/nissan_navara-np300/hardtop_rsi-steel-smart-canopy.asp

rsi-rock-solid-steel-canopy-np300-1.jpg

• Like 1

It will really depend on the age off the pick up ur looking at.

Like a lot of things/tools/saws/tractors many folk have there favourite brand and struggle to see past them, while the next man will call them scrap.

I think most of the newer pick ups are beginning to iron out any faults there older versions had (old 02-06 L200's terrible soft heads, ur D22 navara con rods going throu engine) both were serious problems but so serious not likely to be many left on road.

If ur buying 2nd hand it might depend more on the life the pick up's had previously, price than the brand

I've had fancier colour coded fibre glass tops in past, now i reckon ur basic iffor is bad to beat.

Most of ur fibre glass tops are 1K plus, some a lot more, and pretty insecure with all the glass.

U can buy a brand new ifor for 500, althou some other companies aremaking some very good versions (Gamic, N&J Aluminimum) bit dearer than the basic ifor but they come with solid locking back doors and gas rams so when u add in the ifor extras are actually cheaper.

I spray them myself now to get them colour coded to pick up really does iprove the 'look' massively.

Plus ur metal lids are easier to take on/off as u don't need to worry about scratching/bashing them the same

The above looks a cracking cover but at 2K plus its a lot of money

Some very good drawer/storage solution for in the back now too, althou quite pricey.

In the past i often shelf across the wheel arches with timber to get tools/waterproofs etc in below the load space. Definately frees up a lot of space. otherwise there quite ackward to load andwot ever u need is always at the bottom/back and a mission to climb over every thing to get it.

Ive a 2015 3,0 auto hilux, a solid, reliable truck - it was their reputation that made me choose the hilux!

First i had a flip up top, great, looks cool, but slightly too little space for me, and very, very easy to break into.

So i ordered an aluminium canopy (https://www.expedition-equipment.com/product-category/4x4-bushtech-canopy-top-accessories/4x4-bushtech-canopies/) Which was actually cheaper than the plastic ones here in Sweden!  Far more secure.

Got a sliding tray at the same time. The tray takes up quite a bit of room but very handy. because of the sliding tray with middle floor, i only have about 50% more room than the flip up lid.

IMG_2332.thumb.JPG.02850c7be86c99821fb0add5728a48a6.JPG

IMG_3203.thumb.JPG.337a664c07aaba86ed614826cbd325c6.JPG

IMG_3201.thumb.JPG.fb28963eddadffd1844b3d5f263a902b.JPG

• Like 3

U can get solid rear doors on ifors now as well as locking and gas rams.

Some of the other makers tin canopies look far better made too.

I have been looking recently too and the look of both Gamic and T&N Aluminium both looked really good canopies, slightly dearer than standard basic ifors, but cheaper than a comparison canopy from ifor

My old canopy is an ifor ansd i just lined the door with some ply, keeps everything mice a dry inside and no one can see in either