How to find a yard

forestboy1978

Feel your pain mate. If some of the arb outfits in your area have left a trail of sh*t behind them words not long getting around and makes it difficult for genuine guys to rent shed/yard space for a reasonable price. 

I guess I’ve been lucky and got some shed space at a local farm for a few bottles at Xmas and a supply of firewood. I keep my chipper,tools and other expensive kit in the workshop at home. Don’t think the neighbours would appreciate trailers and a log pile at the front of the house?

Good luck with your search?

• Like 1

I used farmers when I was in the UK, but as Bob says they need to be treated right. 

The most recent one sold firewood so he got he got all that, chip to the power stations, so that worked out well.

At any moment the situation can change, burning of rubbish was getting more problematic by the time I left (2005)

One problem I had was one of the lads arriving late and speeding through the farm yard, sending the farmer (who had young children) mental.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I used farmers when I was in the UK, but as Bob says they need to be treated right. 

The most recent one sold firewood so he got he got all that, chip to the power stations, so that worked out well.

At any moment the situation can change, burning of rubbish was getting more problematic by the time I left (2005)

One problem I had was one of the lads arriving late and speeding through the farm yard, sending the farmer (who had young children) mental.

And rightly so. I hope you gave him a damn good thrashing....

That would *iss me off. 

Luckily i have reasonable secure space at home to safely keep my chipper, van etc. I do not get involved with selling logs or wood chip so i usually give the timber away to my farmer friends and commercial customers and the chip to local allotments and a local 'glamping' site.  I bring home enough timber to process enough fire wood for the coming autumn / winter for ourselves and no more, as i hate the whole fire wood thing really.  If i get some 'decent' Yew etc i pass it onto to wood turners, chainsaw carvers etc. There is one particular chainsaw carving chap i want to give some decent timber to as he's keen to assist me on some jobs plus he has a gert big Bedford 4x4 lorry with a HiAb on it which could be useful! I am lucky in that one of the farming families i pass timber onto also happens to be my fitter/mechanic and there is nothing he cannot fix/fettle.  I asked him to tug over a nearby ash tree for me with his tractor or JCB and he didn't charge me a single penny as it used up less than 90 minutes of his morning,  but he was given a brown envelope regardless as i had factored in his potential fee.   My Wife wants me to stockpile timber and start processing more to sell and has suggested me renting a yard or buying a nice sized plot in the parish but i can't be boddered with all of that.  All i know is that if i sniffed around some i could more than likely obtain space for not a lot of money and possibly free if i really tried but i would keep the place in good order as i have seen some of the mess left behind by tree teams at farms.  If yer busy then the rental costs will not really be felt but if yer trickling along it will be a different story.  Good luck.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

I'm thinking of building a large "shed" in the garden to keep tools/machines in.

Storing wood has always been a problem though.

Let us know how you get on.
emoji106.png

Take my advice and put in a lawful planning application if you build a large shed. Take photos of the outside and inside and mix the stuff in it with domestic stuff. Weight bench, dog bed, guitar, beer fridge, lazy boy as well as your machines. 

I'm still dealing with BS regarding my shed. It's looking like it's going in my favour as in the local authority have closed the case pending the result of the lawful planning app but still it's cost me a couple of grand and A LOT of hassle. Neighbour is writing letters of complaint left right and centre but I am legal so it's looking good. 

Stay below 2.5 meters in height and less than 50% of the garden curtilage. 

• Like 1

When i was kicked out of my first yard by the council, after some kind person reported the farmer for sub letting a barn, even though he let me have it free( the person was eventually found and dealt with), i struggled big time. Eventually i landed on my feet. 1060 sq ft barn, mega secure. Elec, wash down bay, free water, trailer storage, and a compound for logs and storage of landscape materials, crushed concrete etc. But, 530 a month plus vat.

Its 3 miles from my house, and i get on so well with the farmer, anytime i eant to borrow something , even the manitou, i can help myself he gave me a key to his barn!

• Like 5