Imported Kiln Dried Wood

Yes,  most of mine comes from Lithuania.   There are sharks out there so seek recommendations re suppliers.  You will now have to register with the Forestry Commission and report every container you bring in as soon as its shipped.  Its fairly simple process, only just registered myself as was not aware of that requirement until very recently. 

You will need to buy a 40 foot container at a time, cost with be around 6k depending on the exchange rate.   You have 2 hours usually to unload the container, so will need a pump truck and a teleporter or similar.  You dont pay VAT if registered but then declare it in your next VAT return as import from within EU.

There are several UK companies who will sell at similar prices,  but the crates will be marked with their name and they will be selling direct to your customer given half a chance.  Suggest you peddle your own boat,  there are no probs,  all these people speak good english if you ring them.

A

• 2 weeks later...

Top quality product so it commands a price premium but many are put off by the crate price so buy a lesser quantity as a lower price.     I do also have cheaper air dried products but am finding the premium stuff outsells the air dried 3 to 1.  But I dont try to compete in the budget end of the market,  people come into the industry, murder the prices, get some sales then bitch to me that they are not making any money,  I tell them to lift their prices to my levels,  they usually dont and pack up a year or two later.

A

Stacked crate which has an external vol of 1.17cu m ,  this contains about 1.5/1.6 cu m of logs if loose,   sell at £185 last winter inc VAT delivered.  Early indication on cost this year suggests about £10 a crate cheaper due to the exchange rate to buy,  if that pulls through when I order then this seasons prices will be £170/£175 ish.    This is 100% Ash, nice small logs dried to 5% MC or below in reasonably robust crates.  I use a Teleporter to handle them.  Birch is 10% or so cheaper.

A

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎06‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 11:16, Alycidon said:

Early indication on cost this year suggests about £10 a crate cheaper due to the exchange rate to buy,

interesting, its not my game to bring in firewood but i'd heard the opposite. roundwood over in eastern Europe is coming up to our levels so imported logs won't be easy to make a margin on.