If it walks like a duck, swims like a duck....

eggsarascal

4 minutes ago, skyhuck said:

The court has said he was a "worker",  pimlico and he originally agreed he was "freelance".

Yes, a worker, for one company that tell him after he had a heart attack that he can't cut his hours. That sounds more like an employee (a bad one at that) than self employed to me.

I'm self employed, like yourself, we say when we are working not someone else, if they did we would be employed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Yes, a worker, for one company that tell him after he had a heart attack that he can't cut his hours. That sounds more like an employee (a bad one at that) than self employed to me.

I'm self employed, like yourself, we say when we are working not someone else, if they did we would be employed.

He was happy with things until he wasn't.

Wonder why he had a heart attach? You think his weight played a part?

Thing is if your self employed you should be paying for insurance incase or medical issues If you can’t work.. if the bloke was reaping the benefits of low national insurance and tax benefits of being self employed maybe that should of been a thought?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, skyhuck said:

He was happy with things until he wasn't.

Wonder why he had a heart attach? You think his weight played a part?

It seems he was happy with things until he had a heart attack, then he needed to slow down. Pimlico didn't agree. If you turned sickly who would tell you when you are working?

His weight was probably a contributing factor to his ill health.

1 minute ago, MattyF said:

Thing is if your self employed you should be paying for insurance incase or medical issues If you can’t work.. if the bloke was reaping the benefits of low national insurance and tax benefits of being self employed maybe that should of been a thought?

I have nothing to back this up, but I'd dare bet many self employed people don't have any sort of medical/sickness insurance.

He fits the model of employee perfectly in my opinion & should have been so from day one.

The big big issue for me is the fact that he, has been paid as a self employed individual. So if any payment in tax & national insurance (apart from employers contributions) are to be made to the treasury then it should be from his own pocket as he has been compensated for this already. His rate also reflected the absence of holiday & sick pay. The guy is a chancer & no doubt enjoyed the wages he received until things went sour.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Squaredy said:

Yes the article quoted in the original post said he made six figure sums some years.  That sounds like a self-employed wage not an employee's wage with benefits like sick pay and holiday pay etc.

I bet lots of genuinely self-employed arborists would love to earn that money.

For some reason plumbers have become very greedy in recent years.  How often will a plumber work hard tracing a fault and rectifying it and simply charge you a fair hourly rate?  More likely they will condemn your boiler and charge you £2800 to fit a new one. 

I am sure there are exceptions of course.

The fellow from Pimlico was on the radio last night, As he pointed out, the bloke filled out self-assessment as a self-employed person for a number of years, had been paid either 1/4 or 1/2 million in the years he worked with them and claimed every benefit available to a s/e person( I assume he meant allowances against his income).

You'd think that it benefited everyone for him to be s/e, otherwise he'd have left to work elsewhere. But now that his situation has worsened he wants to move the goalposts.

I think he should have been an employee all these years, ultimately the people responsible, who allowed or accepted it was the inland revenue. But that's a different issue again.

25 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

I have nothing to back this up, but I'd dare bet many self employed people don't have any sort of medical/sickness insurance.

Probably right, but if you're employed and with anyone other than a multi-national company I wouldn't be too confident that you'll be looked after that much if you get sick either.

8 minutes ago, AHPP said:

The state should let people determine their relationships with each other and butt out.

But then there would be very little tax paid, Greece springs to mind.

I'll pay my own way, but do we want to live in a country where the infrastructure doesn't get maintained because of it?...... oh, hang on.

• Like 2