Any air rifle gurus out there

miker

I have to admit i was always a 22 man.

But stumpygrinder has it bang on really, generally speaking  inthe past a.177 was reguarded better for fur and the 22 for feather.

Really with both rifles u need to be hitting head shots and that should be easier at more ranges because of the flatter 177 trajectory.

If ur just beginning i'd go for a springer, PCP's are far superior BUT expensive and a bit of a faff recharging/air bottles etc.

I know i have had an empty FAC ir slot now for quite a few years, every time i price them up all the bottles/hassle scares me off.

Really like most things in life its wot u do with it, if u practise tilll ur a very good shot u will shoot more/further than someone who doesnae practice even if they have better kit.

For dusk/dawn/full moon rabbits i find an Illuminated Retice in the scope brilliant and wouldn't go back now, but i wouldn't spend muuch on a scope for an airgun 50-80 quid will be plenty (or 120ish for IR)

Graham u do get a few 20 and .25's when u get up to FAC but still not that common

Just to throw something else into the mix, providing you have been a (reasonably) good boy in the past, and can get the land signed off, a .22 Rimfire is way better than any air rifle, I sold a .22 Bsa Scorpion and divers bottle for £450, bought a CZ 452 .22 with moderator and ten shot mag for £300, already had a cabinet, rounds are 4 quid for 200, you can then hit out to 150 yards comfortably, and will ensure a much more humane kill. Foxes are also possible, if not very well approved by plod.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, HuntingHicap said:

Just to throw something else into the mix, providing you have been a (reasonably) good boy in the past, and can get the land signed off, a .22 Rimfire is way better than any air rifle, I sold a .22 Bsa Scorpion and divers bottle for £450, bought a CZ 452 .22 with moderator and ten shot mag for £300, already had a cabinet, rounds are 4 quid for 200, you can then hit out to 150 yards comfortably, and will ensure a much more humane kill. Foxes are also possible, if not very well approved by plod.

Or a 170 HMR don't get much flatter than that .

• Like 1

However the FAC application is necessarily very invasive with all kinds of questions asked. Doctors views and referees having to be absolutely positive on your ability to be safe and responsible.
All good and sensible, but I probably won’t renew mine next time after holding one for 42years. Too much aggravation and putting an unfair onus on referees.

I’d stick to one of the better modern air rifles if it’s just for rabbits and practice the craft of getting close enough.
One thing many people don’t realise is how far a 22 rim fire will bounce on hitting hard ground without a backstop. Possibly more dangerous than a centre fire rifle whose soft nosed bullet usually disintegrates on first contact.

.17HMR as mentioned by Stubby has pretty much zero risk of ricochet, however rounds are a lot more expensive than .22lr. Yes .22lr will ricochet if care isn't taken, however since having one I am astounded at the performance difference when you compare the prices to some of the high end pcps.

Background checks etc are just that. If you have nothing to hide why worry? I have a very decent firearms officer locally though, appreciate this can differ area to area.

• Like 1

Where on earth are you buying .22 long rifle for 2p a go?!

Holmbush Guns, near Horsham, 38gr Remingtons. They don't have the knockdown power of 42gr Winchester, which are about 4p a go I think, but are fine for practise, crows out in the field etc.

Fuck me. The last brick of Eley or RWS I bought was fifty quid. Remington are crap but Winchester were always good in my CZ. Still forty quid a brick from memory though. I’ve been had.